Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 PM

Default Re: chicken fryer

I thought you couldn't put the aluminum in lye at all? I have run across quite a few pieces lately really cheap and have passed on them because of the time involved in the cleaning process. I want some of those long gloves and have considered going to the local feed store to see if they have them. They use them on cows to do unmentionable things.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Site Admin

I don't think anyone is using the term "diving" as anything more than a euphemism, nor are they perceiving it as anything more.

Let me give some perspective here. Lye, at the concentration used for drain cleaner and stronger is very caustic. It will cause destructive alkaline burns to clothes, skin, and corneas. It will, at the recommended concentration for iron cleaning (1 lb. lye/5 gallons water), also cause discomfort, irritation, and/or damage to tissues it contacts, the degree of which is largely dependent on length of contact. I have roughly calculated that which we use to be about half the recommended drain cleaning strength. So, do I want what's in my lye tank in my eyes? Definitely not. On my clothes? I would prefer not. On my skin? No, not for more than a minute without rinsing it off. If I can't fish a piece out of my tank with coat hanger wire, I have been known to snatch it with a bare hand and immediately dunk it (and my hand) into my rinse barrel without issue. On the one or two occasions I have done so and was not as diligent about thoroughly rinsing my skin post haste, the result was akin to the feeling of a very mild sunburn. After rinsing, the feeling subsided immediately. Will the main website article on lye usage ever recommend barehanded lye tank fishing? No, it still won't.

Lye will dissolve aluminum, or as I have read, lye is a catalyst which allows the water to dissolve the aluminum.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:33 PM

I saw a 5 quart Aluminum DO for 4$ it had a rough surface texture and seemed as though it would be a real chore to clean up. I figure my time is money and I don't want to spend to much time on a piece for resale if I can't recoup what I consider a decent wage. Is there a easy peasy way to clean this stuff that I don't know about? Jeffrey? and by the way, your comment was construed as amusing and nothing more.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Site Admin

Hammered finish aluminum is a pain to restore, if it's even possible. The techniques used on smooth, polished finish aluminum are not of any use on hammered. Or even "as cast" aluminum surfaces, for that matter. If the one you're looking at is really oxidized, I would pass, even at $4.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Scott View Post
I want some of those long gloves and have considered going to the local feed store to see if they have them. They use them on cows to do unmentionable things.
They are to thin, for my liking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey R. View Post
It is true, that you can just leave your cast iron in your lye with no issues. This is not case with all metals, aluminum being one.
That you can not clean with lye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D. View Post
Will the main website article on lye usage ever recommend barehanded lye tank fishing?
Well, at least let us know what bait to use with your hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Scott View Post
Is there a easy peasy way to clean this stuff that I don't know about? Jeffrey?
For me, Not worth my time to $$.

Also - the science is still out on this. Take it for what you want.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14...inum-cookware/
Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 PM

So where did you find your over the elbow gloves? The ones I have are only about 2 inches to short to reach to the bottom of the tank.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:21 PM

A hunting & trapper show.

Try this.

http://www.minntrapprod.com/Gloves-a.../products/350/

I have the long ones to remove the iron from my lye tank, then short ones to clean the piece.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:45 AM

I don't know how deep your lye bath is, but sometimes if I'm fishing around for something small at the bottom i grab a SS colander with a long handle and attempt to scoop it out along the edge of the tub. it works most of the time