Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 02-20-2015, 11:08 AM

Default chicken fryer

I have learned my lesson about posting questions without photos to this forum. I took this fryer out just long enough for a quick photo shoot. What is it? The handle looks like Vollrath but it doesn't have any spouts. I thought maybe CHF but did they only make hammered? This pan is trying to keep secrets from me.
http://imgur.com/g3XwCUT,E3oPRk5#0
Image Image
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Site Admin

Default Re: chicken fryer

Chicken fryers often did not have pour spouts since that would be something imprudent to do with a deep pan full of hot grease. The handle looks Vollrath, but until markings if any can be seen on the bottom, we won't know further. CHF did make more than hammered pieces, but this does not look like CHF.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:02 PM

I took the pan inside and scrubbed it with some steel wool. I can't see any markings like numbers or letters but there appears to be an area where a gate mark was carefully filed down to make the pan sit really flat (which it does). It is still holding on to 100 years of crud so I put it back in the bath. I will post another pic when the pan is clean, probably next week. I am hoping the hammered lid fits this pan but I can't know for sure because that sneaky thing dove down to the bottom of the vat and I can't fish it out.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Do they make a CI version of the magnetic screw finder? I need a really huge magnet duct taped to a broom handle.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Site Admin

My guess would be a casting anomaly or maybe sulfur pitting vs. a carefully ground down gate mark. A piece of coat hanger wire with a hook bent in the end is very useful with a lye tank.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:35 AM

You could always try a plastic bag on your arm.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:50 AM

They do make long gloves, just short of the diving suit.

At times I have tied a piece of string to a handle and just let the string float on top of the lye.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan D View Post
You could always try a plastic bag on your arm.
Please what ever you do dont try this... Caustic lye disloves all organic material, hair , skin, flesh, bone. This stuff is nasty and mean. Dont belive me . Toss a chicken leg in your tank and then the next day try to find it... Please please be safe with this stuff.

I would tape a magnet to a plastic pipe or broom handle cover it with a plastic bag and carefully fish it out. Rince off with lots of water when you are done.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCameron View Post
Please what ever you do dont try this... Caustic lye disloves all organic material, hair , skin, flesh, bone. This stuff is nasty and mean. Dont belive me . Toss a chicken leg in your tank and then the next day try to find it... Please please be safe with this stuff.

I would tape a magnet to a plastic pipe or broom handle cover it with a plastic bag and carefully fish it out. Rince off with lots of water when you are done.
What is wrong with this; Originally Posted by Stan D
"You could always try a plastic bag on your arm."

The lye will not eat plastic, as you wrote "plastic pipe or broom handle cover it with a plastic bag"

I Agree, that lye will eat your skin.

But if you do not want to believe this, try to steal a piece of iron out of my lye bath. You might just come out with no skin.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:17 PM

To those of you who are concerned with my safety I thank you for your concern. Rest assured I am completely up to date on my mandatory trainings in the use of Personal Protective Equiptment and I won't be diving unclothed into my lye vat anytime soon. I tried using the coat hanger to fish out the lid but I guess I wasn't using the right bait. I am not to concerned about it being down there for awhile as Dougs instructions say it won't hurt it any to stay down there and he hasn't steered me wrong yet.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey R. View Post
They do make long gloves, just short of the diving suit.
I get the feeling that this statement was misunderstood.

No way was I implying to dive in to the lye. You need long gloves, or put on you're diving suit.

Also you should wear safety glasses. My gloves run just past my elbows.

It is true, that you can just leave your cast iron in your lye with no issues. This is not case with all metals, aluminum being one.

The trick to the coat hanger, attach it to your piece before you put it in your lye. Not sure what bait will work.