Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 PM

Default Lodge theme/advertising pieces list.

I don't really collect Lodge, but began to notice different advertising and specialty pieces that they've made over the years. Quick Google search, and some looking over the last few days I compiled this list. ??? items were attributed to Lodge but I'm not positive on them. Can we get a list going to figure out ALL the weird little pieces they've made over the years.. Please. If you can verify any of the ??? items, please do so. Photos are encouraged!!! Thanks!!

??? Cracker Barrel skillet 6"
??? Cracker Barrel skillet 8"
Cracker Barrel skillet 10-1/4"
Cracker Barrel skillet 12"
Cracker Barrel 10-1/4'' Cast Iron Griddle
Cracker Barrel Cast Iron Skillet Combo Cooker 10-1/4"

Great Smokey Mountains (Ash Tray Skillet)

In this house we cook as little as possible (Mini Skillet) [Egg in pan logo - USA LMS]
Honey... I shrunk the skillet (Mini Skillet) [Egg in pan logo - USA LMS]

Lookout - Moon Pie 6" skillet

Mini guitar skillet [HGSK]

American Wildlife Series Jumping Bass 10"
American wildlife series deep fish fryer with flying duck on lid.
American Wildlife Series flying duck ??"
American Wildlife Series whiteTail deer Skillet ??"

Boy Scouts of America Camp 6qt Dutch Oven with lid [L12CO3BS]
Boy Scouts of America 12" skillet [L10SK3BS]

??? Hillshire Farms country smoked bacon skillet

??? 2002 Olympics mini ashtray skillet
??? K-Paul's Louisianna Kitchen - America's Restaraunt (Large skillet, 3 notch, Lodge type assist handle)
??? Aunt Jemima Meal 5-slot corn stick pan
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2015, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Lodge theme/advertising pieces list.

I've never seen the White-tailed deer skillet, but I can confirm the Mallard (flying duck) and Bass are definitely Lodge. I have the Mallard... and I'm trying to find a good deal on the bass.

Two others I would add to the list (although I don't have personally):

Size 8 Bass Pro Shops logo skillet
Size 5 Martha White logo skillet

Thanks for compiling this list. I hope others add to it. Although I live in B'ham (BSR country), I am a native Tennessean and have a special place in my heart/collection for Lodge.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay E. View Post
Although I live in B'ham (BSR country), I am a native Tennessean and have a special place in my heart/collection for Lodge.
I like hearing that. I feel like Lodge gets overlooked by collectors and enthusiasts. Their stuff was always as good or better than their competitors of the period. Sadly I think the fact that they're still around today makes them a second class citizen in the collector scene. If they closed up alongside all of the others, I bet the perception would be different.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:44 AM

I couldn't agree more, John.

I find it really strange that because Lodge found a way to survive (and was ultimately more successful in the end... when it really comes down to it) their vintage pieces (some of perhaps greater rarity) are somehow less valuable than their contemporaries of similar quality. Take for example the pair of unmarked hammered Lodge skillets (#3 & #5) that I have in my collection that date to the 1930s. I am certain that there are many more marked Wagner Ware and Griswold pieces out there from this time period that would sell for far greater price in the collector market... but when it really comes down to it just aren't nearly as special. I'd gladly take my pair of hammered skillets over those... and I'm quite alright if most collectors would think me foolish. They can have all the inflated price maker marked skillets they want... and I'll go right on quietly building my collection of quality unmarked vintage pieces.

I think you're right about Lodge still being around contributing to their lack of desirability among collectors. It seems that because you can still readily go to Walmart and by a Lodge piece that there is nothing special about them... but we all know the difference between current products and pre-1960 vintage. I personally hope Lodge continues to thrive as an American manufacturer that still actually employees American workers... and maybe one day the rest of the CI collecting world will realize that longevity isn't necessarily a negative.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:57 AM

I'd like to see them do a small run "heritage collection" where everything is hand cast and polished like the vintage pieces, but I suspect it's not really feasible from a profitability standpoint or they would have already done it
Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 AM

I'm sure it would be very expensive if they did it, but I do like the idea.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:51 AM

I completely agree with you guys. I also have the 1930's Lodge hammered #3. It is my favorite skillet thus far. The finish is very smooth throughout and the cooking surface is slick. Certainly, it is as good as the big name northern cast iron.

I mostly see BSR and Lodge around here; unknowns coming in at third place. Very few Griswold and Wagner. It would be great if someone published a guide to BSR and Lodge cast iron...
Old 01-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Same here... don't see a lot of Gris or Wag, and what I do see is overpriced. Lots of overlooked Lodge and BSR... all because it's unmarked. I see recent marked Lodge priced higher than it should be simply because it is marked... which makes me happy that I can recognize the unmarked ones.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:24 AM

You have only begun to scratch the surface as far as Lodge advertising skillets. I wish Lodge had complied a list of who they made the advertising skillets for. There are at least two dozen or more that I know of. Off the top of my head

Two versions of Wal mart
Woot skillet
Bristol Speedway
Large Dog wildlife series
Blue Ridge Electric
Old 02-09-2015, 11:52 AM

How about commemorative pieces? Like 2012 Salt Lake City Olympics ... Lewis and Clark ...