Unmarked Griswold 14?

Y'all back off that first one. I'm bidding on it. :chuckle:

I plan to make a gift of it.

It might be too late for you, but for any new collectors.... Beware "the gift", that's how my whole collection started. Building a nice little set for my Sister's kids for when they're old enough to be on their own. :redface:

Leaving that one alone, I picked up an unmarked No.14, 3 notch Lodge a few months ago for $25. One of the ones usually listed on eBay as U.S. Army, U.S. Forrest Service, U.S. Navy etc...

Marked

(L)
(US)
8 (on underside of handle)

Smooth as glass, and cooks like a dream. So don't be afraid of picking up one of those either, they're usually listed MUCH cheaper than Wagner/Griswold pieces.

If anyone knows who they were actually made for ???? I suspect the (US) was just short for Made in U.S.A.

I'm not really sure, but the rest of Lodge's post-1960 cast iron have a giant MADE IN USA stamped right in the middle, not a small (US) like those 14s have. Leads me to believe the (US) did stand for some sort of government related thing, or something else.

Lodge themselves confirmed it was nothing more than conforming to a country of origin requirement. The mark is also seen as a smaller US inside an oval.

Interesting, I wonder why they chose to go with that mark on the 14s instead of the MADE IN USA they used on everything else...

These should be in order:
Lodge14.jpg

Lodge14US.jpg

Lodge14SKUS.jpg

Lodge14MIU.jpg

This 14 SK should precede the 14 SK Made In USA, but it had an egg logo paper label affixed.
Lodge14SK.jpg

My Lodge No. 14. Seems different than the ones Doug posted.

Attachments

• lodge_14_01.jpg
    lodge_14_01.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 20
  • lodge_14_02.jpg
    lodge_14_02.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 20
  • lodge_14_03.jpg
    lodge_14_03.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 17
One morning in 1960: "Hey, guys, we need to get a "U.S." marked on these #14 patterns right away. Get out your pocket knives, and do like Jim did on this first one."

In the pictures above by Doug the second one with the 14 and (us) below it what would you say that pan is worth? I picked up 5 pieces of Cast Iron today for $100 and am trying to decipher what they are and which I want to keep (she was selling the lot so I could not just buy one) I am going to start a new thread on them shortly but noticed this thread already had the one in it :)

Back