Auction finds, pre clean up, couple of mystery pans

D_Madden

there are two gate marked #8 skillets... one is clean and has the CB molder's mark (and a badly cracked section where the handle attaches) the other is still covered in crud. They both have raised numbers on the handle and raised numbers on the bottom and the same unusual elevated handle. Also, very small spouts... no idea what they are... so any help would be appreciated.

Also a number 7 with the 'JP' molder's mark (which I seem to have duplicate pics of...) and another 8 with the same raised size on the handle... not yet sure what's on the bottom of that one.

We'll see how these clean up. The cooking surface on all of them is in excellent condition... they all had some surface rust... yes. I've washed them and scrubbed off some rust... so they were worse when I was bidding on them.

http://imgur.com/a/JWicX

Comment: I can't give much info. on the pans--will be interested in what other folks have to say about ID on them--but I think you've hit some great auctions lately! I do suspect there are recast pieces in the group.

Comment: I can't give much info. on the pans--will be interested in what other folks have to say about ID on them--but I think you've hit some great auctions lately! I do suspect there are recast pieces in the group.

I don't think so on the 'recast' part. The castings appear to be too clean and the cooking surfaces are smooth like they should be. (could just be my somewhat blurry pics!) I suspect Lodge to be the maker of the ones with the raised numbers on the handle... but the two with the 'unusual' handles are the ones I'm most curious about.

not surprisingly all of my searches keep pointing back to previous pics/threads on this site.

Last edited:
Hey Doug, I just took another look at your pictures, and realized I didn't see all of them the first time I looked. Duh... Seeing the gate marked piece the second time, I'd say it is an older pan. Too bad about the crack, but I've never even come close to finding one of these older ones. Personally, as an example of what it is, I think I'd hang it on the wall. Thanks for showing us your finds; I'm glad I finally figured out how to look at all the pictures!

Hey Doug, I just took another look at your pictures, and realized I didn't see all of them the first time I looked. Duh... Seeing the gate marked piece the second time, I'd say it is an older pan. Too bad about the crack, but I've never even come close to finding one of these older ones. Personally, as an example of what it is, I think I'd hang it on the wall. Thanks for showing us your finds; I'm glad I finally figured out how to look at all the pictures!

there are actually two #8s with the same gate mark and 'fancy' curved handle... one has the crack, but they are obviously the same maker... the strange thing is that the cracked one is very lightweight... much lighter than its non-cracked counterpart.

Back