Enameled BSR?

I have a question for the common wisdom here. Has anyone seen a piece of enameled BSR CI in a milk-chocolate color? I recently saw a #3 skillet in brown enamel. It had had a little wooden cutout of a duck or something such glued to the bottom, but a 3 H showed, and the distinctive handle was obviously BSR. My first thought was that someone had painted the poor thing before attaching the "decorative" to it. In describing it to my husband, I realized that a paint job was unlikely as the finish was very thick and even looking. I searched this site and the Internet for BSR brown enamel, but the only thing that turns up is MD Fraley's thread on the Forum from earlier this year. Now the thing is haunting me, and I am debating returning to the Goodwill store to buy it. Am I being really silly about this? :chuckle:

AFAIK BSR did make enameled CI. Ive seen many pics here and there.

Here is BSR enamel search on eBay. I believe yours is the 4th one down

Hilditch will have way more info than I know

As I understand it or at least been lead to believe, BSR did not enamel nor sell any enameled pieces, but many pieces of BSR were enameled by second hand parties. That is not to say they are not BSR pieces, just that BSR didn't do them. 'Course, I could be full of hogwash.

I have a question for the common wisdom here. Has anyone seen a piece of enameled BSR CI in a milk-chocolate color? I recently saw a #3 skillet in brown enamel. It had had a little wooden cutout of a duck or something such glued to the bottom, but a 3 H showed, and the distinctive handle was obviously BSR. My first thought was that someone had painted the poor thing before attaching the "decorative" to it. In describing it to my husband, I realized that a paint job was unlikely as the finish was very thick and even looking. I searched this site and the Internet for BSR brown enamel, but the only thing that turns up is MD Fraley's thread on the Forum from earlier this year. Now the thing is haunting me, and I am debating returning to the Goodwill store to buy it. Am I being really silly about this? :chuckle:

Sharon, here is a listing for three of them. Did it look like one of these?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-BSR-...985497?hash=item2ef4e29499:g:ZdQAAOSw-itXsTuB

It's not uncommon on enameled pans which otherwise appear to be BSR. Perhaps the patterns were altered for some reason. The assumption with late grooved Griswold handles was saving a little iron. I have seen bare iron pieces that I have no reason to believe are not BSR, including a chicken fryer and a saucepan, which also have the grooved handles. I have also read discussion purporting that BSR had some enameling done by Descoware.

I recall reading somewhere that the typical BSR raised pointy edge was removed before enameling because edges are always where the enamel chips off first. This too may be hogwash but there it is. :laughup:

Hey, guys, I went back to the Goodwill store today and bought the #3 skillet! I had to remove a 3" diam. plywood "chicken" from the outside bottom of the pan, but it came off okay. The color is like the ones in the eBay ad. that Bonnie put in here. I am really happy I got it, although there are a few rim chips. For $2.99 it was a good buy! I now have my first piece of BSR CI. It will nest inside my enameled 6 inch unmarked Wagner skillet; it's also a much prettier color than the Wagner. Thanks for all the responses to my query. I am a happy kid tonight, and we forgive you Hilditch. Senior moments happen even to the very young! :D

Back