Need an idea

W. Hilditch

Ladies and guys. I need some ideas. I’m a cast iron lover and as the home cook I use a piece or two everyday. I’m not a collector but have accumulated at least 200 lbs of quality iron over the years. Eighty percent of it gets used at least yearly and the rest are high end antiques. Many of the pieces have 30 to 70 years of to die for seasoning so I would never consider stripping or reseasoning. The more carbon, the prettier they are and the better they cook.

As I’m now 69 I can foresee the day that I will die or quit cooking. I don’t know anyone to leave my iron to that would appreciate it. I’m in N. GA, NOT on Facebook and my best bet is a 10 yo step-granddaugher in Sweden - hard to mentor & not ready for the load yet.

I hope they don’t get sold on eBay, get sold at an estate sale, sit on a shelf or get destroyed by an ignorant cast iron newbie. The 1880 Griswold waffle irons are not up to a trip through the dishwasher. I do hope they all get used to cook as they were meant to be.

Do you have an idea as to how I could find a person “to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death…….” my cast iron for the next 50 years?

Thanks,
Hilditch

Maybe ask around at church, or see if the local college has a culinary program with an aspiring chef who might appreciate the lot of pre-loved iron?

I'll send you my address and a blank check for the postage.. :biggrin:

I started collecting for three reasons...

1.) My Mother gave me a great skillet and dutch oven and I loved cooking in them so much I started seeking out other pieces. Things just seemed to spiral out of control. :|

2. & 3.) I wanted to also build up a nice set of a few skillets, and a dutch oven or two for both my Niece & Nephew for when they're ready to be out on their own. Something they could also pass along to their kids.

Well, my Nephew went into the Navy. The amount of stuff he's allowed to own has to fit in a small box that can travel with him. He's 19 and has already seen more of the world than I'll ever see. So until he settles down some place, I'll be holding onto his.

My Niece (18), While visiting her family, and showing her how to cook a few things for fun, I'm starting to think that she won't have the patience to deal with anything that can't be shoved into the dishwasher and come out sparkling clean. No fault of hers, that's just the way she is. So she knows she has a full set of iron waiting for her, but I kind of doubt she'll take me up on my offer. Although I hold out hope that she'll at least take a dutch oven, as they're so great to cook in.

=========

JenniferM's suggestions are great. I would hate to see them go to someone who might try to use them once or twice and then toss them out. I would also ask around, friends, neighbors, etc. Who may have kids that "Love" to cook who are of an age that may cherish both the iron, and it's history. Maybe even offer to give some lessons on the care and feeding of cast iron, maybe even have them over and cook up a pot of chili, or show them how great cast iron cornbread is. Make it a learning experience. That way the memory of learning is tied to the iron the way my memories of my Mother cooking in hers is tied to the pieces she gave me.

Just some thoughts.. :)

Rick C.

Although I'm somewhat new to cast iron, I have certainly gained a real appreciation for it. I wish I had discovered it sooner.

Might sound odd, but I often wonder where my old cast iron has been in it's "lifetime." I picture a mother with a bunch of kids frying up a chicken that came from the yard, the boys bringing in firewood for the stove, a young bride getting her first skillet from the general store, etc. I'm sure each of my pieces has a story to tell...

Luckily, I have four children who will hopefully enjoy my cast iron some day. My Eagle Scout son and his soon to be Eagle Scout brother have done their share of camp and dutch oven cooking. My teenage daughter has had culinary training in high school. Hopefully, my other son will develop his own cooking skills and will be a cast iron user.

BTW, I live in Georgia as well, on the eastern side. I plan to be in Clarkesville, Habersham County this weekend enjoying some North Georgia scenery.

Its great that you are looking to pass your collection on. If you call your County Agricultural Extension Agent, I'm sure you will find a 4-H club that includes cooking. You could not only share with a number of young people, you could probably volunteer to help teach them how to use the cast iron correctly and develop memories that will last the rest of your life time for you as well as for them. They'll always remember your generosity and mentoring. Its the personal attachment that's as important as the functionality that ties us to our iron!

If there was ever a reason for having a classified section, this would be it. Who else would “to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death…….” better than a member here?

Just sayin'.

Do you have an idea as to how I could find a person “to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death…….” my cast iron for the next 50 years?

The way I see it... I'm 36 years old, so I've only got about another 50 years (if I'm lucky), so I should be your ideal candidate. I live in AL... which is just a hop, skip, and a jump from GA... and just in case you're a UGA Bulldog fan... I'm not a fan or alumnus of the University of Alabama or Auburn. I'm a native Tennessean, but I don't root for UT either. I graduated from the University of Memphis... so I don't really have a dog in the SEC fight.

On a serious note, as much as I like some of the ideas presented here about sharing with the local 4H, cooking school, or something similar... I think the real value of vintage cast iron cookware would be truly lost on any of those groups. They wouldn't appreciate it and certainly wouldn't "cherish" it... to them it would be no different than modern Lodge available at Walmart. This commentary is coming from someone who is an educator and believes in doing whatever can be done to enrich the lives of young people.

I truly believe you should find a way to sell or share your iron while you're still able to benefit from it and see that it goes to a worthy individual who will truly respect what it is.

Thanks for the responses and the smiles. I enjoy planting seeds here and there although I never wanted to be a farmer. The chance of finding the type of person I’m looking for in the under 20 crowd with a short presentation seem slim. If I was teaching Cast Iron Cooking 201, an elective 5 hr course followed by Cast Iron Care 202 I’d have a better chance with those who signed up. Unfortunately, that won’t happen. However, asking the culinary teachers for recommendations sounds worthy and I would be willing to mentor on a light scale. I taught HS for a year. Not my thing.

What I am picking up on is talking up my quest much more than I have been and asking for leads to people who love to cook more than just on a barbecue. It’s nice that nobody said; “Me, me, me, me ……..”

More ideas are welcome.

Hilditch

Judging from some of the prices I am seeing on ebay there must be lots of people out there who place a high value on good cast iron. Selling your collection should not cause you heartache. If the folks don't value it they won't pay the price.

One more thought, Hilditch ...

No one (except maybe you) says you have to give it all to just one person. You could, if you wish, spread it around ... like good, rich, creamy butter ... or homemade jam. :)

Make several people happy as opposed to just one.

Ah, OK Hilditch, broaden you focus. I have been honing in on cooking value when other values can apply also. As simple as pride of ownership and respect. And yes, there is enough to make more than one person happy.

Hilditch

Hello W. Hilditch, So there just might be light at the end on the tunnel, and have it not be a train.

As for myself having a deep appreciation for all antiques, I cannot keep them all. I just do not have enough wall space to display all that has passed through my hands. So I have made a pack with myself, If I will not use it or display it I sell it well most. I do like eye candy, and still have wall space. :chuckle:

So here is my idea. Each piece that you part with includes a note with your favorite recipe, and or provenance. That way, you will always be a part of the piece.

I wish you the best, going forward. :wine:

I think you hit the nail on the head yourself. You should find a platform to teach exactly what you said. But you can't compare it to teaching high school. In the high school setting, you are trying to teach something that those students don't really want to learn, as opposed to a class on cast iron to people who signed up, wanting to learn. And then you could find just the right person to gift. Or even that someone to sell it to who would really appreciate it for what it is.

Back