Don't Show, Just Tell

1. What is the first piece of cast iron cookware you actually owned?
* Made in China "Bridal" set that I bought new as a newlywed.

2. Do you consider yourself more a collector, a user, or both?
* Everyday user recently started collecting vintage iron.

3. What is the first piece you acquired with an eye toward collecting?
* My #8 Lodge three notch skillet.

4. What is the first truly collectible piece you acquired?
* My #5 Griswold slant "Erie".

5. If you were forced to give up your collection except for one piece, what would that piece be?
* My #6 Lodge three notch. This was the first family heirloom passed to me, and the piece I built my vintage Lodge pieces around.

6. Knowing it's hard to name a single favorite, name up to three CI items, rare or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".
* #10 Griswold LBL EPU Heat Ring.

1. #8 Wagner Ware Sidney ~o~ that a friend picked up for a couple dollars at a yard sale
2. I started out as a user but when I cleaned the above mentioned wagner it got me interested in finding out more about them which led to collecting then.
3. My second skillet which was a#9 Griswold slant trademark.
4. ERIE #12 that was one of 12 that I picked up at a yard sale after I bought my first two.
5. Griswold #9 large block with heat ring and self basting skillet cover
6. I have been putting together a set of Griswold large block with heat ring. I have #'s 3 & 5-12 slang if the others would neon the bucket list. I did recently pass up a couple #14's that I wish I didn't. But I did pick up the#5 last weekend at a yard sale and I was pretty pumped about that

A cheap made-in-Mexico square grill skillet (raised grill ridges) picked up at the grocery store about 20 years ago, before I had a real grill. I still have it and use it on very rare occasions.

Definitely a user. We'll see what the future holds.

TBD

I'm the 3rd generation in my family to own a set of vintage BSR pans. But I don't know if those really qualify as "truly collectible".

5. If you were forced to give up your collection except for one piece, what would that piece be?
My No. 10 BSR pan. Using it and my carbon steel wok I can cook a plethora of various tasty meals.

6. Knowing it's hard to name a single favorite, name up to three CI items, rare or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".
TBD

First time poster. Thought this would be a good place to start!
I feel the need to extend this answer beyond stovetop cookery because I have a few less common items I think still qualify as cast iron kitchen pieces that have played a big role in my decision to collect cast iron

A Griswold No. 10 Skillet.

Just last year, I helped an elderly friend of mine move out of his home after he sold it. In the garage there was a fair bit of choice items. He told me I could take any item I wanted from what was left. I saw the Griswold and it was the easiest decision I ever made.

This was in Humboldt County California. He told me his mother grabbed that old skillet from a lumberjack camp where it had been left behind.

Pretty sure it's over a century old, and it still works like a charm. Love it. I've meditated many times over a sizzling meal wondering what stories this old pan could tell. How many meals had it dutifully served before reaching me? Some day my kids will get it (after I have some :chuckle: ).

Both. In that, I never picked up piece I did not intend on personally using, yet I have a persistent fascination and impulse to enlarge my collection for reasons that are less utility oriented.

Though they are expensive, every iron item I purchase I do so with the idea that I can pass my collection down through many generations, if those whom I bequeath them to do not split or sell the set. At the very least, I have bought the last damn skillet/comale/coffee grinder I will ever need

Even my wildest purchase (A Bedouin coffee roaster from Saudi Arabia, which I'll show in another thread), was acquired with the full intention of use. That purchase still has yet to be used, but rest assured its day is coming.

I think greatest thing about cast iron is the marriage of function and longevity. I don't like constantly replacing things throughout my life. While I do enjoy the aesthetic appeal of my cast iron and it's role as a conversation piece, I know it can both, walk the walk and talk the talk. That's why I love it! :icon_thumbsup:

My Spong Coffee Grinder. I realized that this was an antique, and while I could surely find one a bit more economical I had to have it. The black painted finish with gold trim looked sharp and elegant. It has both a vice to secure it to a shelf and holes from which it can be mounted to the wall with screws. Save for the stylish wooden handle on the crank, and steel 2 bolts, it is 100% cast iron (including the grinding burr). A very simple but nearly indestructible and elegant design. Grinding it by hand gives a certain satisfaction when it's time to have a cup.

Has to be my Griswold.

This is a horrible thing to put me through! :icon_rofl:
In all seriousness, I'd have to keep the Griswold. It bakes, it fries, makes a hell of an improvised self-defense object, and will have many uses while my other pieces will have fewer.

1. A cast iron kettle. Not a teapot. A WATER KETTLE that has an IRON HANDLE (not the steel coil safety handle that most Iron Kettles have.) I honestly find the standard kettles of today ugly, their non-iron handle ruins the prospect of buying one for me. I guess it's partly because my teapot has an iron handle and I want them to match somewhat.

So far I have only found only enamelled teapots for sale domestically, and the aforementioned ugly kettles. I own a Japanese style one myself. However, most (or all?) of which cannot be used on the stovetop to heat water. They are meant to brew tea and keep it warm, and the water for the brewing must come from another source.

In Japan it is traditional to have one teapot for brewing and the other for water, both of which were traditionally often made of cast iron until recent times. Now they are still made by artisans, but the price tag runs high, and then there's the shipping all the way from Japan!

Two companies that I know of in Europe made them once upon a time (Kenrick & Sons, and Swain) However those pieces are now also antiques and while some are affordable, the additional shipping from Europe will kill you. Ebay has a rather lackluster selection of old rusted kettles. I have no problem restoring a worthy kettle but many of these have unnacceptable chips and pits in the iron that render them useless as anything other than a decoration.

2. A Cast Iron Oven / Smoker Setup.

I grew up in a house with a cast iron stove inside. We usually only used it to heat the home during winter and never cooked more than hot dogs over the flames. Looking back it was a fantastic thing to have in the house and a really rare piece. Since then I've seen some massive Cast-iron ovens for indoor kitchens. Complete with smoking drawers and different compartments for baking and broiling. That is the holiest of holies for my cast iron obsession. The cost of one would be astronomical. (Hey I can dream can't I?)

3. A quality hibachi or sportsman grill.

Last edited:
1.) The first piece I owned would have to be 2 pieces of CI. I received a gift cart to a speciality kitchen store for a housewarming gift. I bought a 5 qt Le Cresuet dutch oven and a modern lodge 10 1/4 inch ribbed square grill pan.

2.) I consider myself a user but could see that changing. I'm trying to hold out but the collecting bug is hard at work. I see so many lovely pieces that want to go home! I do believe in using what you have so if I turn collector it will still be used.

3.) I guess my Wagner Ware Sidney O #6 heat ring from the 20's or 30's. It was an estate sale item that had been a wedding gift during that decade. I didn't need it as I had my grandfathers #6 Griswold but it came home.

4.) I'd be guessing but I think my most collectible piece is my Griswold #7 Slant logo Dutch oven. My grandfather got it from his mother and it has rarely been used. It is in fantastic shape. It lived in the very back of the cupboard as long as I can remember and was used by grandpa to hide his cigarettes from grandma.

5.) Oh no! If I had to give it all up but one piece what would I keep? They are all my favorites! Hmmmm.....I guess it would have to be my #8 Griswold LBL dutch oven only because I could still do everything with it. I could still bake bread, pie, stew, roast, cook eggs, bacon, pancakes, fry chicken, just anything if I had to.

6.) Name three pieces on my bucket list. An Atlantic Stove (now sold as Sportsman's) grill. The one with the sliding grate door. I once saw a two burner gas portable burner that I'd love to have, fully functioning of course. I posted a picture of it. It was missing key parts, :cry: . I don't have a third just now.

Christopher, your Gris. no. 10 just flips me out! What a treasure! They do speak to you--meaning you're one of us now!! :chuckle: (Frustrated archaeologist here, but I love to consider my pans, and think of where they have been... and I know I'm not alone.)

Haha, thanks Sharon!

You're an archaeologist? I'm currently studying Anth. at Cal. Although I'm more into the sociocultural/linguistic sub-disciplines, I find archaeology fascinating. I keep getting emails about field schools I should apply to... So tempting but generally outside my concentration.

My favorite pieces are unanimously the ones I bought 'used' (i.e. antique). They really don't make cast iron stuff quite like they used to. As a hobby I look for things that are made of iron that aren't very typical in modern times. My rule is though, I have to be able and intending to use it.

I'll post my Saudi Coffee roaster in a few. Now that is another piece I REALLY would like to hear the story of.

Reminder: Please keep replies in this thread confined to responses to the original post questionnaire. Thanks.

- Lodge Logic 10.25 inch skillet, pre-seasoned (March 2016), from Amazon.

- Mostly a user of (cast) iron cookware; I wouldn't buy anything I didn't/couldn't use.

- The 9.625 inch "Birmingham Stove & Range" #7 (mid 1960's) I recently acquired on eBay.

- BSR #7 (at least I think it is a collectible...)

- I could not decide between my trusty 10.25 inch Lodge skillet and my 11 inch handmade black iron pan (although it has been forged and not cast).

- Something with a gate-mark from before 1890, but in a good condition; either a skillet or a dutch oven. I would love to put cookware (back) to use that is already 127+ years old and has a history.

Last edited:
Lodge square egg logo 10 1/2" bought at Walmart in Killeen, TX in 1994.

Both. I've cooked in everything I own.

"SIDNEY" No. 8

Martin hamburger #7.

Mom's BSR Century chicken fryer, used to make cornbread for dressing the whole time I was growing up.

1) BSR Sportsman's Grill
2) BSR 12IN spider skillet, w/lid.

- Best Made #7 Skillet

- Mostly a user, a little of both. Might buy something that I would not use if unique enough, or if I like its looks.

- LBL Low Dome lid to a #9 Griswold Skillet. First Griswold piece I bought. $15.00

- See above

- #10 Griswold LBL Skillet and high dome lid.

- Two items. I would consider the holy grail obtained if I could find a #8 ERIE Spider Skillet and all three of the matching (#7,#8 & #9) ERIE Spider Teapots. Of course I would like to find them in the back of a Mom & Pop Junk Store marked at $10 ea.

Lodge #8 Skillet still being used.

A user but have some vintage collections of gate marked iron.

A big gate marked skillet with no name.

An 1881 Silver Dollar Pancake Flop Griddle with 4 separate opening compartments.

The 881 Silver Dollar Pancake Flop Griddle.

A vintage Griswold toy odorless skillet, a Favorite Piqua Toy Set, and a really old 19th century wood stove.

1. A Jotul aebelskiver pan that I got at work. I didn't know what it was, but it looked exotic to me.

2. Both....but only because I was educated about what I am lucky to have.

3. I don't really collect, but one of my favorites is a small, square John Wayne embossed cornbread skillet.

4. I inherited a Favorite Piqua Ware 8 Dutch oven from my grandma, it sits unrestored in my pantry... more sentimental than collectible perhaps.
5. My Copco Denmark 7315 10" skillet, non-enameled finish. My mother gave it to me.

6. I'm not really a collector, but if I'm lucky to find something unusual, I'll let you all know.

1. A Jotul aebelskiver pan that I got at work. I didn't know what it was, but it looked exotic to me.

2. Both....but only because I was educated about what I am lucky to have.

3. I don't really collect, but one of my favorites is a small, square John Wayne embossed cornbread skillet.

4. I inherited a Favorite Piqua Ware 8 Dutch oven from my grandma, it sits unrestored in my pantry... more sentimental than collectible perhaps.
5. My Copco Denmark 7315 10" skillet, non-enameled finish. My mother gave it to me.

6. I'm not really a collector, but if I'm lucky to find something unusual, I'll let you all know.

May I add that I have a cast iron clothes iron from Haiti. It opens and you place coals or embers in it and press clothing. I've never used it but it is very cool.

My first piece was a Hecho, Mexico 10" round griddle. I didn't even season it,( just young & dumb. I still have it, use it, and yes! it is seasoned.

2. an un marked 12" cast iron skillet, Most likely made in Mexico
3. Griswold corn stick pan, 1960's
4. Griswold ERIE Pa. #4 skillet, pre 1960's 1st real collectable piece.
5. Griswold ERIE #5 skillet, LARGE SLANT Logo. 1st serious collectable as for as valuable goes.
6 My most favorite piece is a 2 Quart Albatross 3 legged witch's cauldron. I do not won't to give that puppy up
7. I consider my self a student of cast iron, and the Iron has given me a full scholarship.
* It always pays to learn but often times it costs a little along the way. *

Last edited:

#1. 14" lodge pre-seasoned from walmart when I was in High school to take on a camping trip. I still have it and use it after many hours sanding it is finally a nice piece

#2. Mostly User transitioning to a collector

#3. Wagner Ware #3 From the Estate of a very close old man.

#4. Stover Waffle Iron

#5. Wagner mentioned in #3

#6. Gate marked pieces, Large Erie, and a Wapak. I dont need anything really valuable or rare, but If I can find a good price on one I will snatch it up.

Unknown, but I missed it, which is why I eventually began the hunt for a replacement.

Both. But I fear I'm beginning to morph into a collector, like a caterpillar into a butterfly. Whereas the caterpillar digests itself, I find myself eating my wallet more and more...;)

I've been trying to add a No. 3 or 4 large block, but have received two back-to-back ebay purchases (at good prices) with unexpected cracks. Those were returned, and I'm done with ebay. Not 5 days ago, I acquired a ringed Griswold Slanted Large Block EPU No.8 in a four-piece lot for a good price. I guess that'll do as my first collectible for now.

A smooth-bottom Griswold Large Block EPU No.9, purchased "blind" in a cheap pile of rust-buckets I acquired when I hunted for replacements (See Q. No. 1). I didn't know what I had then, but among that first group were two small logo Griswolds - 3 and 7, a No. 8 Iron Mountain and a No. 10 - 948 Griswold EPU corn muffin pan.

Tough choice - that No. 9 and the Iron Mtn are both good cookers. For collectibility, I'd choose the No.9 as a keeper.

A Blacklock, with 'Blacklock' on it. Other than that holy grail, a block or arc Wagner, a No.2 smooth or ringed Large Block Griswold, and my Mom's cast iron.
;)

A new Lodge for Christmas about 10-12 years ago. It sat on the shelf for a bit to start, then I took it camping and started my learning on cast iron.

Both at the moment. I have 7 pieces as users and have sold/gifted away twice that. It's not a true collection of a set that I'm after as I find most of the fun in the hunt and restoring them. If a piece is at a decent price chances are I'll pick it up - my current users are 2 WW stylized #3, a #5 in diamond, stylized WW center #7, LBL EPU #7, unmarked #10 wagner, and #8 Iron Mtn. dutch oven. Just finished an Iron Mtn. #9 skillet that may make the fold as well.

After getting the pan in #4 below, and reading up what I could on collecting, I got a fully-marked Vollrath #8 which was restored and gifted to my brother.

A Wagner stylized center #7 at a garage sale for $5. Bought it simply because I recalled hearing that old cast iron was collectible and thought I could flip it. This pan lead to research which lead to getting more CI and so the journey began.

Probably the LBL EPU #7. Not terribly collectible due to pretty bad sulfur pitting, but it serves as the pan we take camping. It's hard to beat the quiet early mornings with coffee in the percolator and breakfast in the pan.

Tough one. Only item I'm hunting for personally is a good deal on a handled griddle to restore for camping. Another fully marked Vollrath would be my next choice being that it was made pretty to close to where I grew up.

Hello everyone. Brand new to this forum and this is my first post.

My first piece was a Cracker Barrel 10.5" skillet I bought when I first got married in 1989. It is actually an excellent skillet and is still my go to piece. I use it several times a week.

I am an avid user of CI and I am a passionate cook. Up until recently, I have only bought with the intention of using, but my love for the pieces and desire to learn all I can about CI is sending me into a collector status as well.

A Lodge 5 qt. Dutch Oven with handles and no bale.

That happened last summer when I finally found an unmarked oval fish griddle (?) with straight sides. I had been looking for that piece for over a year.

I would have to keep that first Cracker Barrel skillet I described in question #1 for sentimental reasons.

Interestingly, I really want a Lodge CI grill. Also, I am want to find a great oval roaster.

Borrowed and unmarked Wagner 8 spinner from my mom when I moved out.

Both.

#9 Gris New American Slant Logo Waffle Iron

If I have a piece that's truly collectible, it would probably be that waffle iron.

My grandmother's John C Johnson combo set. Best seasoning on any item I have.

I've always wanted an Erie Spider logo more than any other, but to me the most fun part of this hobby is "the hunt" for new pieces and the fun of taking a piece from having 1/4 inch of crud on it to looking almost new and then turning around and cooking a delicious meal in said pan.

Back