Wagner waffle iron

JMoss

https://plus.google.com/photos/11839214 ... _u5lPebjgE

I saw this piece last weekend but didn't know anything about waffle irons so I passed. Subsequently I found it on p 252 of the BB and decided to go back for it today.

I have some other pieces in the lye bath so it may be a few days before I can clean it up and post the after pictures.

I am very hopeful this will turn out to be a good example of a 1920's piece.

Doug D.,
Do I season this just like I would a skillet?

jmoss said:
Do I season this just like I would a skillet?
Pretty much, but there's more work and other considerations involved. The handles, if they can't be removed without damage must be worked around. You would need to hang the irons so they are not in the lye or electro water. You also don't want to heat the handles up in the oven before applying seasoning, but you can just heat the irons up like you were cooking waffles over a burner. I would get a cheap natural bristle paint brush to put the seasoning on quickly while they're hot and several terry towels to wipe with. Some people go with Q-tips in the crannies or compressed air to blow off the excess. If it's canned air, be careful, as the propellant can make the air very cold, which wouldn't be good to spray at hot iron.

Final touches might include considering high temp black paint on the base instead of seasoning and freshening up the handles with paint. The ferrules on the handles can be brightened with metal polish.

Thanks Doug D.,
I just want to make sure I dont do anything that would damage the piece or lessen its value. I intend to take it apart before I satart any restoration efforts

Just go easy on the handles. A little WD40 between the iron and the ferrule on the handle if they seem stuck. You can wash it away with Dawn after, and dry thoroughly. If they still don't feel like they want to move easily, you may not want to chance breaking or stripping them.

Back