New from Indiana

Paul V

Hello. This site is very informative. I haven't been able to find cast iron that isn't priced out of reach, but I have found some aluminum from Hammercraft and Wagner. I've also found some nice multi-ply stainless steel. Where are the best places to scrounge for cast iron? Been hoping to get my hands on a #10 Wagner or Griswold skillet for regular use. I know I can get a Lodge any day of the week, but I really like vintage American cook ware. Thanks for any advice!

Welcomer, Paul!

When all else fails, hit the antique shops and thrift stores. Some of them are over-priced, but there are some real deals out there too.

I have found many of my pieces on ebay. You just have to have the patience to weed through all the listings. The "followed searches" function is nice in that it constantly adds new items to your "front page".

I have also had some success at a big local flea market, but at the smaller vendors set up in the outside lot, not at the "professional" vendors with the permanent stands inside the building. The ones outside may not realize the value of what they have and you can get the better deals.

Estate sales are cool....yesterday i just dropped by a sale and left with a #8 griswold and a cornstick pan for a total of $16....couldn't see a mark until i held it up to the sunlight and saw a faint little "erie, pa"

Patience...paul! The finds are out there, you just keep looking until you have one of those "oh !" moments....

Back