Used oil for seasoning?

JenniferM

Maybe this is far out, and I did not plan to do this, but the thought or question just occurred to me while cooking dinner: can one use 'used' oil (e.g. from frying chicken) to season another pan? So, if I'm about to season a pan the same night as I'm making fried chicken, can I use the oil (strained obviously) to season a stripped pan? Or does the oil lose it's seasoning quality once it's been used/cooked in/heated up?

If this is an absolutely nutty question, and I'm nuts for asking, please feel free to tell me. I don't offend easily. :mrgreen:

Figuring that manually seasoning an average skillet requires a tablespoon or less of oil, there's not much of a reason, frugality or otherwise, to go to even that small amount of trouble.

Figuring that manually seasoning an average skillet requires a tablespoon or less of oil, there's not much of a reason, frugality or otherwise, to go to even that small amount of trouble.

Good point, Doug. I guess I was less asking about it from a frugal perspective, and more from the notion of wondering if there would be better seasoning properties from a used oil vs a new oil.

Science was NEVER my strong suit, so bear with my ignorance, please. :biggrin:

I doubt that used cooking oil is any worse or better than fresh. But there's probably a blog somewhere that uses science to prove otherwise.

Frankly, since I have my jar of bacon fat renderings next to the stove, that's what I use to season with now. Small dab on a clean paper towel, wipe down and season away!

All seems well so far.

Back