Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 10-07-2014, 07:34 PM

Default Re: What happened here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
Took it out of the lye bath and cleaned it up again. No seasoning this time and it still has a light bronze tint. If it was a bronze transfer would that cause it not to darken when seasoned and will electrolysis otake that off along with the blotches?

[/IMG]
If it is bronze/brass, I'm not sure you'll ever get it all off. Fairly certain your pan will season just fine. The initial seasonings might look blotchy because they're thin enough to see through, once you get more and more layers on there it will darken and even out.

I picked up this pan, well used and seasoned. I had to start over, also wanted to see what's underneath. Well, here you see it, repairs. What can you do? never saw it under the nice seasoning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140917_114116.jpg (60.8 KB, 47 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyR View Post
also wanted to see what's underneath. Well, here you see it, repairs. What can you do? never saw it under the nice seasoning.
Better than a giant crack I guess. That pan still has 150 years worth of life in it. Some you sell, some you just use until you die..
Old 10-08-2014, 04:09 PM

I have a misguided friend who utilizes all the resources of his machine shop to "clean" pans. Heat treat oven and media blasting. All of his pans start out looking exactly like that...I am going to throw my hat in the ring and say its been mechanically worked or sand/bead blasted.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:06 PM

Update on the pan. So i put it through some electrolysis which seemed to take the bronze tint off. But now the pan looks like it did when i bought it. I'm not sure if its plated, but i am curious about the swirl pattern on the cooking surface. Also the marks in the cooking surface do not want to come off. What should i do?

[IMG]
image by jaylee9112, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-26-2014, 05:36 PM
Site Admin

The swirl marks (fine scratches) are normal factory polishing artifacts. The discoloration is from something after the fact, not exactly sure what. If there is no textural difference between the light and dark areas (rubbing your finger over it), then it wouldn't appear to be some kind of erosion, but more like a stain. If it were me, my next step would be spraying full strength white vinegar on the inside, let sit 10 minutes, and then scrub with 000 or 0000 steel wool and see if the dark spots start to diminish. Then rinsing thoroughly and repeating, i.e. don't leave it with vinegar on it longer than 10 minutes and several minutes of scrubbing.