Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 09-25-2014, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Cast Iron and Glass Cooktops / Radiant cooktops, Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyR View Post
The glass tops are inductive, are they not? I would think this would be a bit less forgiving, in that, a small or uneven air gap won't make that big of a difference. Also, I'd think heating on an inductive would be more even, across the entire bottom of the parts of the pan that sit over the inductive coil.

My Mom ruined her cast iron skillets on her electric coiled stove in the 80s. I remember her cussing out that stove. We'd moved from a home with a gas oven to a house with electric.

I'm running gas. Had the electric stove removed and gas plumbed into the kitchen. Even my gas stove is inadequate for my 12" pans. They never seem to get hot enough out in the edges. I have to be careful to heat my big pans slowly. My 10" pans are perfect for my stove. all my pans are hottest right under the burner, of course.

If it wasn't for the cost of electricity out here in Cali., I'd have a glass top inductive stove. A friend has one and it's fantastic, heats evenly, cleans easy. Not sure how finely variable the heat is, if it's like gas.
Other than that, it's gas all the way!
Inductive stoves have glass tops, but glass top on a stove doesn't mean it's inductive. Induction heating requires ferromagnetic pots and pans so that the pan itself heats up and not the stove top. You could literally leave the stove top on for 15 minutes and then put your hand on top of it and it would be cool to the touch.

My glass top stove heats up with an element underneat the glass. It gives off heat and I could literally slap a steak on the glass top and cook it, or cook with a glass pot, or copper kettle, I refuse to cook with aluminum.

I have no issues with my cast iron on the glass cooktop. Just have to be sure not to drop one on it.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2014, 06:28 PM

We have some minor issue, and that is keeping the top clean. I think some of my seasoning has transferred to the glass top from the bottom of the iron, and after a while it becomes very stubborn to clean off.

I do have a Griswold 12 with a HR and Small Block Logo, that when heated on the range it will spin, but otherwise sits perfectly flat when cool. I now use it for biscuits in the oven, but was hoping to be able to fry up enough chicken in one shot for the family. Just went back to my LODGE 10 as it is impervious to that sort of thing.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:06 PM

I've had good luck with Cerama Bryte getting the really stubborn stuff off the cooktop.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Even my gas stove is inadequate for my 12" pans. They never seem to get hot enough out in the edges.
You need to get yourself a flame/heat diffuser. They sell all different types. I found this one while out thrifting and use it on larger pans.

There's a couple cast iron ones on Amazon for cheap.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC View Post
You need to get yourself a flame/heat diffuser. They sell all different types. I found this one while out thrifting and use it on larger pans.

There's a couple cast iron ones on Amazon for cheap.
FANTASTIC! More stuff to buy

Seriously, thanks, I will start looking to get one. I'm kinda exited about getting one and using it.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
FANTASTIC! More stuff to buy
If you buy one, buy one without a handle. Mine, the handle sticks up a bit. If you want to use, say a #12 - #14, the handle might interfere.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:04 PM

Awesome, John. I will look into this, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
I've had good luck with Cerama Bryte getting the really stubborn stuff off the cooktop.