Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 01-14-2021, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Electrolysis Tank - Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Leonard View Post
Thanks. I may try the 12V battery option tied to tank and use an automatic charger to charge the battery. I read the information on electrolysis on this website and it says that's a an option. Any worries about battery draining and charging not being able to keep charge? That would be an expensive 'trial and error' tactic.
I wouldn't do it that way myself. I would continue to look for a manual battery charger. I've read and see the battery burn up and cause a huge problem for people. That's just my opinion, though.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2021, 10:07 AM

Thanks. My immediate work-around is going to be a Duralast 1 amp manual battery charger that my in-laws have. The amps are too low I( believe) but at least it'll provide a continuous charge until I can get my hands on a manual charger with more amp capabilities. I think you need at least 5 amp output. Plus, once I daisy chain 4 pieces of rebar in tank you need enough amp to make it to 4th anode. Right now I'm using just one anode. That's my assumption...need a smarter guy than me to weigh in on that.

I guess they don't make and sell new manual chargers anymore?
Old 01-14-2021, 10:57 AM

I believe Jegs does. I think you need to find a charger with a HOLD button. Ive seen guys buy them at a premium but they are very good, new, and are roll around.

I just found another one today so I may take a ride to pick it up for $100 so I can set up a second tank.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:57 PM

K_Leonard, check Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. There are often old, manual chargers for sale on there for reasonable prices.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:21 AM

I picked up a charger off Amazon back in 2017 for around $28. Has worked great.

And the added benefit has been, with all the COVID stuff going on and not driving much, I've needed to use it to actually charge my car battery!!! LOL!
Old 01-19-2021, 03:24 PM

I have this nice English pot that I was unable to fit sideways into my tank. So this is my first attempt at the reverse e tank. Seems to be working and I will scrub it out shortly.

https://imgur.com/gallery/MqlJcb3
Old 02-18-2021, 06:41 PM

In addition to the charger, I'd get something with more surface area than rebar. It will get gunked up really fast.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Leonard View Post
Having trouble finding a manual 12/6V battery charger. I've been to Lowes, The Home Depot, Walmart, and an auto parts store and all they have are automatic ones. And if you ask a sales clerk they look at you like they don't know what you're talking about. I'm starting to look on-line and when I think I found what I need, it's out of stock or not really a manual one but an automatic that switches to trickle mode. Really frustrating. I'm anxious to get started on the handful of cast iron pieces I've got in the garage.
I know this is several months old, but I thought I'd share. Instead of the battery charger, I purchased a DC power supply off of Amazon for less than $60. I set it at 24v & 10 amps and it works like a charm.