Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 04-19-2015, 04:41 PM

Default Seasoning not sticking/burning off?

I've been re seasoning all my pans with flaxseed oil. Very thin coats at 500 degrees for an hour each.

One of the first things I cooked was I oven fried potatoes and it looked like the seasoning was coming off on my skillet (saw bare iron spots all over skillet). I thought cooking such an oily food would help the seasoning.

Second concerning thing was when I brought my lodge cast iron skillet to around 550-600 degrees on my stovetop. It looks like the seasoning burned right off in the middle (didn't even cook on it yet).

Anyone know whats going on here?

It looks oily because i wiped it down right before cooking. otherwise it looks like a nice hard finish.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Seasoning not sticking/burning off?

The primary complaint heard again and again about flaxseed oil is that, despite its supposed "scientific" superiority, it has been shown to quite often tend to flake off in use.

As to the other pan, I'm guessing 550-600F far exceeds the temps typically used on a stovetop, and that the concentration of such heat in a small area to achieve that temp is going to burn off just about any seasoning.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:42 PM

Whoops...Thought those were doable temps for cast iron seasoning.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:57 PM
Site Admin

I think there's a difference between baking a pan at 500F or higher (totally unnecessary, IMO) to season it and subjecting a portion to the direct flame of a high intensity burner.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:58 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. Lesson learned.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D. View Post
I think there's a difference between baking a pan at 500F or higher (totally unnecessary, IMO) to season it and subjecting a portion to the direct flame of a high intensity burner.
One thing I know about my oven it the air flow is a major factor. When seasoning, I get the temp up to the smoke point of the oil, and leave it for about an hour. It doesn't put out a lot of smoke, but if I open the oven door, it immediately starts smoking like crazy. So in the oven, the oil doesn't "burn" (oxidize) as easily.

On the stove top, it has all the oxygen it needs to totally burn off the oil once you exceed the smoke point.

It is kind of the same principle as making charcoal.

If you heat wood up past the combustion point in a container with very little air, it carbonizes and turns into charcoal. If you feed it air, you end up with ashes instead.

If you heat oil up past its smoke point in an oven with very little air, it polymerizes into "season". If you feed it lots of air, you end up with the oil burning off.

When cooking most foods, you heat the oil, but not until it starts smoking, so most cooking adds to the season. If you cook at too high a temp, it will burn off the season.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:42 AM

People post links to the Flaxseed method all over the internet when asked about seasoning.. Again and again I see people coming back days/weeks later having issues with it.

Lard, Crisco, bacon, sunflower oil, olive oil, etc.. No complaints that I've seen. The end all, be all of seasoning, based on "Science" is the one I constantly see people having issues with.

Go with what your great, great, great grandmother would have used.... Fat, grease, lard, possibly Crisco, you will not go wrong.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:15 PM

Yeah, I will NEVER recommend flaxseed going forward. It may make a nice hard nonstick coating but it doesn't stick when you actually cook with it!

Pretty frustrated because I spent a lot of time stripping and cleaning 3 pans which all now have flaxseed oil seasoning on them.

I really don't want to go through the mess of using oven cleaner to re strip...ugh.

Seasoning over with something else will probably just lead to flaking soon enough. Right?
Old 04-22-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_A View Post
Yeah, I will NEVER recommend flaxseed going forward. It may make a nice hard nonstick coating but it doesn't stick when you actually cook with it!

Pretty frustrated because I spent a lot of time stripping and cleaning 3 pans which all now have flaxseed oil seasoning on them.

I really don't want to go through the mess of using oven cleaner to re strip...ugh.

Seasoning over with something else will probably just lead to flaking soon enough. Right?
Yeah, I would think starting over is the only way to go. If your foundation is bad, any seasoning you put on top of that will also be bad. It's possible that some of your flaxseed seasoning may be good, and you could season on top of the stuff that isn't flaking and be ok, but I think you'd be best served by stripping and starting over.

If you're mad about having to do it twice, why set yourself up for a potential third time?
Old 04-25-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_A View Post

I did flax on 2 pans, same problems as everyone else. That was just before I found this forum. I didn't restrip. I've just continued to use the pans and the bottom inside and outside where the flax came off is seasoning just fine using grannies O'l timey method, just cook in it with good O'l fats and oils.

The sides have never flaked and honestly, I'm not worried about it. All mine are users and not lookers.