10 1/2" Skillet

MDFraley

Was wondering if by chance Wagner made this skillet before Randall took over the Wagner/Griswold line of cast iron? Looking on p.186 of the Red Book it shows a pic of this same skillet but it also says that the interior surface was a cream Teflon surface. As you can see the pic's shown here on my post there isn't any Teflon but instead just a normal C.I. surface as would be found on a Wagner #8. I know that some think these were made by BSR but the research I have done plus the handle design is exactly the same as WW production. Was just trying to clarify it's origin per what I have found. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
BSR made some with the same HR style. But anyone familiar with late BSR and late Wagner markings and handle styles should be able to tell the difference. Who copied whom is unclear. BSR did Teflon cornstick pans as well. This one is Wagner. Ads called it "grid bottom". They were also sold labeled Griswold, and were made under Randall ownership. Perhaps the failure of the Teflon coating was prevalent enough that people just stripped them. I haven't seen anything that indicates persuasively that they were sold uncoated as well.

Was trying to add a pic of the inside and it kept failing so I reloaded it and hopefully it will copy over to this reply. Think if someone stripped it of Teflon there would be visible signs of scratches or such but this pan is smooth as one would find on a regular C.I.pan.

Perhaps it was an adhesion problem and removal was not all that difficult. I note that we don't ever seem to see these with a partial coating remaining.

The configuration of the heat ring "grid" puts some in mind of the Mercedes Benz logo.

Back