Need help finding lye.

JBPoole

New collector in Georgia needs help in finding lye. Please tell me exactly what to get to inlude brand and where to buy. Tried Ace, but they refuse to stock it. I have the usual stores such as HD, etc. Only have 6 skillets so far, but I am really interested in vintage iron...

If you went to Ace and asked for lye, that's probably why you got the answer you did. Look in their plumbing section for Rooto, in the 1 lb. jar. That's 100% lye.

We do not have Menards here. I asked for Rooto at Ace. The guy there told me they do not stock it because some people use it for illegal activities...

I bought mine from Essential Depot on the net. Come in two lb. bottles. Do you have any gun shops in your area that won't stock guns because some people kill animals or people with them? Such a shame when useful items get discontinued or hard to get due to the people who misuse them. Sorry, we don't stock cast iron skillets anymore because too many men were being maimed wit them by their wives.

Our Lowes doesnt keep it in stock but you can have it sent to your store from the website.

I got lucky at Tractor Supply.

I got some from amazon. $9.99 for a pound was a little pricey though but it's cleaned a lot of iron for me!

I'm in GA and have seen lye in some of the ACE hardware stores.
Not Red Devil brand though.
Maybe one of the brands mentioned here.
Just watch out for some of the brands with blue flecks
etc. It may have other drain opening ingredients
that you don't want.
If you can't find it, you can buy it online
http://www.lyedepot.com/purchase_lye/index.html

Over the weekend, I finally found some lye at the second Lowes store I went to. Also bought a 10 gal. container with a lid. My lye bath is in operation with 7 skillets. Thanks for the good information!

The lye bath appears to be far superior to the oven cleaner in a plastic bag method. Thanks again for good information supplied here.

Back