Is It?

LloydR

Hi everyone,

I am old to CI but new to "collecting". I enjoy IDing stuff but, as you will see, I am a newbie.

I saw this skillet on the fleabay which was advertised as unmarked. The second or third picture showed this.

AfDUAwk.jpg

To my novice eyes, that logo wasn't convincing as I noticed the seller is well seasoned cast iron seller. So in fact it was a cause of doubt more than anything else.

Next I see the skillet number engraved on the top of the handle

Kx2Thms.jpg

Here again the seller was either not paying attention or I am missing something because it was advertised as a #8 and the kind of see 9 there. The font style doesn't look the same than what I see on Griswold pics. But maybe I am fishing here.

Now, the grooved handle was what caught my attention. I am sure that pictures on the web are limited, but all grooved handles I see are paired with larger logos or a small logo accompanied by additional engraving which I don't see on the bottom of the skillet. But maybe its been hidden by the junk. Also, the top of that handle didn't look to my eyes like what I see, again, on the pictures I find on the web. Don't know how to describe what I see.

With all this (mis)information in my mind I thought: if I was to imitate a skillet I probably wouldn't put so much effort in making a grooved handle. I rather keep it simple. After all, we catch most forgers because/when they cut corners.

So, I read too much into it didn't I? I always do.

Thanks in advance.

CPIVpES.jpg

note: No, I did get it. But I put a bid :)

Last edited:
All grooved handle Griswold skillets have small block logos. Above the logo should read NO. 8 and below ERIE, PA. At 6 o'clock there should be 704 p/n on a #8. Large Griswold number fonts are blocky and have flat tops and bottoms. The 9 should be straight on the right side, but an 8 would have the bottom right curved out. That's what this one looks like, so the bottom left part may just have crud built up in it. Ask the seller if the pattern number is visible and what it is to know for sure.

thank you for a very illustrative reply. I guess most grooved handles I saw were smaller skillets and I did not factor that in. The detail on the numbers is fascinating. Did I miss a post on that?

The skillet is long gone. I just want to learn and thank you for the valuable guidance and info here.

Also, do you see what I am seeing on this handle? I highlight with red arrows.

m5jQgTE.png
Yhv4MbI.png
luGovzV.png

I don't see anything noteworthy.

Curious as to why the photos in the first post were deleted, though.

I still see them. I am new to imgur and might have scr**ed something up while uploading the handles. Will see if I can fit it.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Well, I can't edit the first post anymore so here they are.
My apologies.

bxTqasJ.jpg

P1INF9u.jpg

kFt5lpa.jpg

As far as 8 vs. 9, those numbers got filled in alot and so after it's cleaned you may wind up seeing an 8. I had a 6 that I thought was a 5 until it cleaned out.

Back