New to Buying Had Some Questions

MMRubeo

I have always used cast iron in my cooking routine but it was always a modern lodge pan. Recently I have inherited my grandmothers old Griswolds and with help form here have restored them and I can say I never want to go back to anything modern again. They old pans are so much lighter and the cooking surface so much slicker. Anyway. I wanted to see if anybody has any recommendations of places to buy a few more pieces I am looking for function mostly they don’t have to be pristine but obviously nice condition. I wish I had time to go out there and scour the antique stores but unfortunately that won’t happen. I am looking for a long griddle and a bigger skillet. I want to avoid eBay as much as possible since it’s a mess to buy anything that’s considered collectible.

MM,
You just nixed your two most likely sources. You can try garage sales, flea markets, Craigs List and resale shops and occasionally find a good piece at a reasonable price. Also let your friends know you are looking for CI. They can turn you on to people who have it, don't like it but never took the time to try to sell it.

Other than that, inheriting it seems the best option.

Jack

Unless you're going to garage sales or flea markets you're pretty much limited to Etsy at this time based off of what you said. The thing with going to garage sales and flea markets is it's going to take you three times as long to find a skillet you're looking for. Most antique stores are very well laid out and the cast iron is easy to spot. I can be in and out of a store in 20 minutes cast iron in hand.

Thats what I figured. I do go to antique stores from time to time and will have to keep my eye out, the long griddles are not that common

I keep an eye on the sale bill at a couple of local auction companies for estate sales. There is cast iron cookware at almost every one of them. Ive gotten some amazing deals there too. I go at 9AM when they open the doors, look around, If I see something im not sure what it is I go sit down and look it up on the cast iron collector site on my phone. Most of the time the cast iron is on the tables at the front near the auction stand. They have carts with stuff they do first, then go to the "good stuff" I always ask what time they are going to start on the front, They tell me, I leave and come back then. That way Im not sitting there buying other stuff too. lol I also observe who is there looking at it as well. Most folks dont give it a second look. Last auction I picked up a #8 Puritan that was made by Griswold in the 20's to 30's for $7.50. I took it home cleaned it and cooked lunch in it that day. Only one other guy bid on it and he stopped as soon as I countered him. There are good deals out there, but you have to look they dont just fall in your lap.

Facebook also has a site to buy and sell CI. Can't think of the name just now, maybe Iron man or something like that. Prices seem OK, but also have to consider shipping cost.

Back