Thanks for Letting Me Join You!

DKRoseberry

I am very new to cast iron collecting. My wife and I picked up some pans a few years ago at an auction just for use, as neither of us had ever tried cast iron before. We didn't know how to use, season, or identify our skillets. They were just cool old pans.

Well, we ruined one by turning the heat on high and neglecting it while it was empty. Made a real nice spinner out of it! Turns out it was a nice old #8 Favorite Piqua Ware which we couldn't even see under the nasty old black stuff. I did some googling to figure out the right way to clean and season cast iron, and found this forum. After a few cans of Easy Off I saw some improvement but found it expensive. Ordered some lye off the internet and made my first lye bath. :)Bought a bunch of vinegar and played around with that. Bought some old cast iron pieces at auctions. Started out frequenting antique malls. Bought more. Learned how to season. Bought more. Gave a few away as gifts. Bought more. Seasoned more. My office floor is now covered. Lye bath is full. Bought more on eBay. Realized I was in serious trouble! Sought out other folks like myself. Found Cast Iron Collector. You graciously let me in.

Hi! My name is Dan. I'm a cast iron addict...

Welcome Dan! My name is Greg, and I'm an addict also lol.

At least you are aware of it lol. It's a fun hobby and for most, like myself, the hunt is the best part, then finding out what you have if there was crud all over it.

This is a very good community. I've learned tons since I've been on this site. The moderators are full of knowledge as well as the rest of the community.

My collection has grown to over 100 from 6 in 2 years.

BTW, with this addiction, I don't think anyone here would get a chip. It's just too much fun!

Back