Glad to be here!

Suzanne Heidt

I'm so glad I found this forum! I have quite a bit of cast iron cookware from my grandma that I use daily. I've learned a lot just from reading some of the info on the website and the forum. I've never cleaned any of her CI, but from looking at pictures, hers has some baked on crud! I never wanted to ruin the seasoning on them. Any tips for cleaning them up would be appreciated. There is no rust on any of the items.

Suzanne, since there is no rust, and you know they haven't been used to change someone's oil or used for anything that can make them unsafe to use, there is no much reason to do anything. However, if you need to clean them there is lots and lots of info on how to do it on this site. Enjoy your CI.

Thanks Bill. I used oven cleaner on the outside and all the built gunk came right off. I've re seasoned the outsides and they look like new! Some of them had so much gunk on the bottoms and sides they were lumpy. I left the inside (cooking surfaces) alone. They are so well seasoned inside!

Back