Boston Iron Works

I just came across this ad on Craigslist. I hope it is ok to copy and paste part of it here.

I have for sale a small lot of pre-1900 cast iron cookware. This cookware has the gate marks typically found on cast iron that was produced before 1900. There are two pots and two dutch oven / cauldron style pieces and a few lids. All the pieces look to be made by the same manufacturer, Boston Iron Works.

I can't Find out anything about BIW ever making any cast iron, and their website says they have been in business only about 100 yrs. Does anyone know anything about this company, or is this just someones ignorance, or maybe a scam?

I would consider it odd that they have been able to avoid detection by the CI collecting community for that long.

I sort of thought that same thing. I am thinking about answering the ad and asking for pictures. There are none with the ad. By the way I love this site. I have learned a lot here. Thanks for everything.

I wouldn't do anything without some photos. Even though a known foundry with a similar name exists, doesn't necessarily mean they made hollowware.

I wouldn't do anything without some photos. Even though a known foundry with a similar name exists, doesn't necessarily mean they made hollowware.

I agree with you there but... There are many foundries in Canada that people didn't know about, and they did make hollow ware.

Definitely get some pics, I'd love to see them.

Thanks for all the info. The seller said he would post some photos tonight. He could easily have the name wrong. It very well could be the south Boston iron works that RobM mentions, but I still couldn't find anything about them making hollowware. If he posts some pictures I will let you know. I asked him to make sure we can see all the markings.

Sorry I am so long getting back on this, but internet has been down for 2 days. This seller has posted some pictures. I think he was confused on the city. One pan has Balto on it. That must have something to do with Baltimore maybe? Anyway here are some of the pictures. It is obviously old, but is it valuable? Anyone have any idea about this?

Attachments

• cast iron1.jpg
    cast iron1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 56
  • cast iron3.jpg
    cast iron3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 45
  • cast iron2.jpg
    cast iron2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 43
Sorry I am so long getting back on this, but internet has been down for 2 days. This seller has posted some pictures. I think he was confused on the city. One pan has Balto on it. That must have something to do with Baltimore maybe? Anyway here are some of the pictures. It is obviously old, but is it valuable? Anyone have any idea about this?

I'm not sure about value, but I would be worried about condition, which then effects value. Some of those look like the rust may be deep enough to leave pits behind. Hard to know without better pictures or inspecting them yourselves. I'd say if it's close to you and the prices aren't crazy, they're worth checking out in person.

That is what I plan to do. He's about 1 1/2 hrs away. He is asking $200 obo. I don't believe they are worth anywhere near that. Apparently none actually have a manufacturers name on them except the one that says Balto. Do you have any idea about that?

Re: Boston Iron Works/Balto

Don't know if you're still interested, but there's an eBay listing for a
Balto spider (BALTO 10" Cast Iron 3 Legged Dutch Oven With Coal Lid). The seller
outlines the research he did and mentions a foundry: Conklin, Willis & Co. of Baltimore. I noticed it because I have a 10" spider marked only as "10 inch" in
raised letters on the lid along with "FD". On mine the shape of the pan, the "pig ears" where the bail connects and the lettering are all similar.

I just purchased a spider skillet two weeks ago with the same lid but mine has 11INS on the spider and the lid but BALTO is only on the lid. The spider is in great shape but the lid is a little rough. I stole mine at a local flea market for 23 bucks cash. He wanted 25.

Back