CI and Induction Cooktops - My Experience

TedW

I'm just moving into my kitchen, and am trying out my electric stove. The Induction cooktop required me to get new pots and pans, including a few CI skillets. I tried out the CI on the induction for the first time this morning.

Wow.

The induction really loves the CI. All that Iron, and all. Seemed like it was hotter cooking. I'm going to test and see if it generates the same heat as a stainless pan on the same heat setting. It would make sense that the CI might work better, since it has so much more Iron. But that's my uneducated armchair appraisal. I'll look into it more, since I like that sorta thing.

My pans sit flat, although that' not critical. More of an annoyance if the pan should spin.

If anyone has their own experiences, feel free to chime in.

I'm liking my skillet assortment. I have stainless (magnetic) that's lighter than normal, as my wife can handle them better. What they lack is mass.

So... in comes the CI for when I need the mass.

I like that I can place a brown paper bag under the skillet. Protects the cooktop, while allowing the magnetic field to pass thru to the pan. Easy cleanup also.

Ted, I was hoping that you would tell us whether the hot spots were eliminated with this type of stove. Is it a more even heating?

Well, to do that, I think I'd need to place an oversized CI item over a small induction hub. I have a good size griddle that might do the trick

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

UPDATE: Just tried a #10 Gris griddle on a small hub. Put maybe 1/4" water in the griddle, and brought the griddle up to temp. It very neatly outlined the hub underneath with a 6" diameter boiling water area, while the rest of the griddle did not boil. Clearly defined hot spot

I then moved the somewhat cooled griddle to the large hub and repeated. Same thing. Same hot spot, but bigger.

I had wondered about the CI having more iron it may have overcome some of that hotspotting. Apparently these things are more defined by their thermal conduction which is less on CI than aluminum or copper.

The Gris griddle has a ring, not flat, FWIW

Back