Corroding Anode

How do you attach your charger's positive terminal to the anode in your t-tank? The copper clip on mine has almost entirely eroded away. Yes, it has been below the surface of the washing soda solution, but I'm also not sure how to avoid that.

I drill a hole right in the anode and use a nut, bolt, and a ring terminal. As long as you have a connection it doesnt matter. Replace what you have with a wire coat hanger?

None of my clips go in the solution.

IMG_1577_zpsi2tou4to.jpg

I have several 6d (13 ga) steel nails bent into C-shaped pieces and chain together as many as I need to submerge the entire piece of CI. My clips never go into the electrolyte.

Make sure your positive anode extends above the water line. Anything positive below the water line becomes sacrificial.

Hilditch

Make sure your positive anode extends above the water line. Anything positive below the water line becomes sacrificial.

Hilditch

Yes, that is the problem, but I don't (or, didn't) know how to attach to the anode without submerging the clip. The SS plate that I was using didn't touch bottom, so I just clipped to it and let it hang from the side. Guess I need to find a way to fix that.

Dan
You can use ferrous (not copper) wire to hang the electrodes in the solution. Then attach your alligator clip to the wire above the water line.

Jack

Dan
You can use ferrous (not copper) wire to hang the electrodes in the solution. Then attach your alligator clip to the wire above the water line.

Jack

That is exactly what I needed to know! Thanks, Jack. I'm surprised because I'd think that ferrous wire would add too much resistance. Someone else suggested clothes hanger wire... I guess that's easy enough to give it a shot!

Dan
The clothes hanger may be painted. If so the paint could interfere with the connections between the anode and the wire or the alligator clip and the wire. You can just scrape off the paint or use unpainted wire.

Jack

That is exactly what I needed to know! Thanks, Jack. I'm surprised because I'd think that ferrous wire would add too much resistance. Someone else suggested clothes hanger wire... I guess that's easy enough to give it a shot!

This is what I did. Cant speak on longevity yet but its working fine. I used non painted ones. After thinking about it if you used painted one and cleaned the paint off on the connection points the paint should protect the hanger and help it last longer.

Yes, that is the problem, but I don't (or, didn't) know how to attach to the anode without submerging the clip. The SS plate that I was using didn't touch bottom, so I just clipped to it and let it hang from the side. Guess I need to find a way to fix that.

Quoted from:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/?ALLSTEPS

NOTE: Do not use stainless steel for the electrodes. As pointed out by a commentor on the intro page (thanks!) "The chrome in the stainless will leach out during the electrolysis and form hexavalent chromium compounds in your electrolyte. These are extremely bad for you." This is true - don't even think about using stainless steel for this project.

Quoted from:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/?ALLSTEPS

NOTE: Do not use stainless steel for the electrodes. As pointed out by a commentor on the intro page (thanks!) "The chrome in the stainless will leach out during the electrolysis and form hexavalent chromium compounds in your electrolyte. These are extremely bad for you." This is true - don't even think about using stainless steel for this project.

This has been debated and most have come to the conclusion that this does not apply at the amperage we use to clean cast iron

Back