Early Griswold Dutch Oven Lid

From my understanding, anything with the P/N is "newer" than the lids without. I've also noticed that the lids that are older are flat. Yours has a "dome" to it. I have narrowed down that the lids with P/N are likely made around the time the third series skillets were made. But this is a bit of conjecture on my part. I have done this with research about griddles, as well.

Either way, great lid!

From my understanding, anything with the P/N is "newer" than the lids without. I've also noticed that the lids that are older are flat. Yours has a "dome" to it. I have narrowed down that the lids with P/N are likely made around the time the third series skillets were made. But this is a bit of conjecture on my part. I have done this with research about griddles, as well.

Either way, great lid!

there are early flat lids without pattern numbers as well as some of the flat lids with 3 digit pattern numbers... so I'm assuming these are later than those... but not sure of how the bottoms would have been marked... my guess is that this style lid is early 1900's, before they started putting the slant griswold circle cross markings on anything.

there are early flat lids without pattern numbers as well as some of the flat lids with 3 digit pattern numbers... so I'm assuming these are later than those... but not sure of how the bottoms would have been marked... my guess is that this style lid is early 1900's, before they started putting the slant griswold circle cross markings on anything.

Agreed. I think the earliest Erie lids were flat with one number at 6 o'clock. The earliest bottoms would be the size number at 6, and "Erie" at 12. Sound accurate?

Back