Pop Corn

CJ Lucas

A few days ago, someone posted about making pop corn where they added the kernels to a cup, stirred in the oil and then put it in the pot. I don't remember who posted it, nor can I find the post.

My question is, do you add additional oil to the pot or just what was mixed with the kernels in the cup?

Thank you.

I'm sure Hilditch will chime in when he sees this thread, but until then, from a cooking-popcorn perspective, the oil on the kernels should be sufficient.

But if you're popping corn to build seasoning, starting with a thin coating of oil on the inside of the pot doesn't hurt.

No extra oil is required, although being generous on the kernels is OK. I wouldn’t put a coat on first as the whole vessel may not get hot enough to polymerize the oil. Just letting the explosions of the kernels and steam carrying the oil to the surface is sufficient to leave a nice even thin coat. Additional heating/baking will harden a sticky surface if required.

Hilditch

thanks for the explanation, i to had the same question as i'm looking for things to make with my new DO to help build seasoning

If the vessel will fit in your oven, regular seasoning first. Think of the regular seasoning as the primer and a coat of oil from the popcorn as a very thin coat of paint.

Hilditch

Before the meat for the chili was started in the cauldron today I made a batch of popcorn in it using melted bacon grease instead of oil. Popping time was a bit slower than with canola and there was just a bit of bacon flavor here and there. Best part was that there was a nice coating of grease on the inside of the cauldron and the top ready to fry up the ground beef and make the chili. Good popcorn too.

Hilditch

Back