Unknown Hammered Chicken Fryer

SteveL

I picked this hinged hammered chicken fryer up last week at a flea market. It looked interesting and felt it wouldn't be a big loss at the $5.00 price if it turned out to be worthless. There are no markings except for an "R" on the underside of the handle. From the shape of the handle, and the one I found like it on eBay, I'm thinking it's possibly an unmarked Griswold?? The marked Griswolds seem to be exactly like it unless there's a detail I missed. The restoration turned out nice in my opinion. A couple small chips on the edge of one spout, small amount of pitting on inside bottom edge, 1 pit & 1 what I believe is a casting flaw on bottom and an ever so slight wobble. Wish it would have had the lid!! Do you think it could be an unmarked Griswold and what size would you think this is?

http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/Steve ... en%20Fryer

I tried to embed the slideshow from Photobucket but obviously wasn't doing something correctly.

Thanks,
Steve

Can't tell from the photos, but is there an undulation to the ridges on the underside of the handle?

Doug D. said:
Can't tell from the photos, but is there an undulation to the ridges on the underside of the handle?

Yes, there is. About mid-handle. I guess I should have included a side picture to begin with. There is now a side shot added in the slideshow.

Thanks,
Steve

That's all very consistent with the hammered skillet on pg. 32 of the blue book. Although not shown, it says it is marked with the small logo. Perhaps this is something Wagner did with the pattern after they acquired Griswold, like they did with old Griswold lids.

Doug D. said:
That's all very consistent with the hammered skillet on pg. 32 of the blue book. Although not shown, it says it is marked with the small logo. Perhaps this is something Wagner did with the pattern after they acquired Griswold, like they did with old Griswold lids.

I don't have a blue (or red) book...yet. The more I look at it I'm believing it's the bottom portion of a Lodge 4 in 1. The bottom of the top portion has a STAR and 4 in 1 incised in a cross. A couple pics I've seen had the bottom of the bottom portion not marked with anything except a mold letter in the handle underside. Suprised that the shape is exactly the same as a Griswold. If it is the bottom portion of the Lodge 4 in 1, any idea of manufacture date range? I'm thinking 1940's to 1950's?

After poring back and forth between photos in the BB and RB of the Griswold hammered skillet and the Lodge hammered 4 in 1, it dawned on me that, if Griswold, it should at least be marked with a pattern number. :roll: I also get the feeling that this is the type of piece that wouldn't have been produced by them in an unmarked version. So I'd say that makes yours the Lodge. RB dates it at 1940s-50s.

Thanks Doug....I didn't think of the pattern number for Griswold either. Oppps ;) Now to find the top portion/lid.

Is there any explanation as to why the Griswold & Lodge are exactly the same with this piece (except with the logo)?

Steve

PS: BB & RB will arrive Monday :D

Not sure, but one might ask the same question about the later Lodge 6-cup turk's head pan that's quite like a Griswold #130.

There's must be some minor differences we can't discern from available photos of both. Would be interesting to get two of the same size together to compare.

Back