Auction Today... Lots of Iron Sold

D_Madden

in Montgomery, IN at Dinkys Auction... george washington lid (sold for about $1250 + 15% fees)... 425 lots... almost all iron (a couple of aluminum pieces thrown in for good measure)... also mostly skillets, not a lot of gem pans, 5 or 6 dutch ovens, one iron oval roaster, 8-10 scotch bowls... and 3-4 waffle irons... (one of which went home with me). lots of griswold, wagner, wapak and some Favorites. saw a #14 wagner pie logo...

https://imgur.com/a/6OkZb

they have general auctions every week.. but this one was a special 'cast iron' only auction. They had some nice pieces... while I was there after the auction was over, picking up my heart and star waffle iron I got to talk to the auctioneer and one of they guys who sold a lot of the items... they have another auction coming up... with an erie 'spider'... they had it there and let me look at it... that's only the second one of those I've ever seen in person and the first that I held in my hands. you can find them on the auctionzip website and they generally list upcoming sales.

I used to love going to Dinkys. I havent been for probably close to 5 years. I need to get back down there. The problem is, too much junk follows me home. LOL

as long as you aren't buying goats and chickens and donkeys and rabbits and... you're probably ok. but then you can always go eat at the Gasthof (if you have a few dollars left after the auction)... so win, win.

Gorgeous waffle iron! I haven't been on this site for a while, and had forgotten how jealous D Madden's auction finds make me--time to close the green eye and look up Montgomery on my map! Thanks for sharing!

Montgomery / Washington Indiana is pretty heavy Amish country... and there are a few guys in that area that really know their iron (and appreciate it). There were some really nice pieces at this auction... and the amish guys who were selling and running the auction were very up front about condition and quality... there was one or two pans they found cracks in under the lights of the auction and they stopped the sale... refused to sell it over the internet and did a separate sale for the 'cracked pan'... one of the ones they found a crack in was a nice heat ring griswold 11 or 12... should have been a $200 pan... and I think they sold it for $60... It was interesting to get to talk to them when I went to pick up my heart and star high base... my bid was $160 , plus some fees since I bid over the internet.. but I was close enough to go pick it up and not have to ship it. there was another heart star waffle iron, low base with bail same paddles #18... I think it sold for $125.

Thanks for the information on the type or iron and how many were sold.
And know I know why I do not see any Dutch Ovens or Waffle Irons.

Your Waffle Iron looks Great!!

today was the other auction that I mentioned. The erie spider logo pan sold for $2100 or so... a #6 griswold dutch oven with trivet went for $1100!!!! There were two bidders who wanted it and they just kept going. Saw 2 14's sell, a 13, a couple of 2's. I bought some of the oddball stuff... an erie ghosted marion, a wapak 7 with both an erie ghost and a wagner ghost (how does that even happen?) I'll post pics later in a new thread. got a heat ring stylized logo wagner ware 4... and a griswold square breakfast skillet... and what might be the neatest and least expensive item of the day... an early griswold wafer iron (no base)... but the blue book lists it as $400... button hinge, 1880 patent date on it... in really nice condition... inside is just beautiful.

Back