Stargazer

I have one on order. I should receive it by mid November. There are a few other new startups. Smithey Iron Works is another start up down in SC. There is another new startup in MI. The name starts with an M...forgot the name.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

Marquette Castings was the name I was trying to remember. They are pricey like Finex and Smithey. Hoping Santa Claus will bring me a Smithey, Finex and a Marquette. :icon_thumbsup: I appreciate the old and the new.

https://www.marquettecastings.com/pages/cast-iron-skillet

I've been eyeballing stargazer quite a bit. They look quite nice with that CNC'd cooking surface.

The "about" states "Our cookware is made using the same proven materials and manufacturing processes that were used over one hundred years ago." I contacted them asking about that, if they were using a manual process for their molds.

Peter Huntley, their CEO, replied. He said what they mean by that is they use green sand casting instead of a more modern method such as no bake. But they do use a machine, a Hunter 20x24. I couldn't find much on how those work but his description was "is not fully manual, but less automated than a DISA line (somewhere in between)."

They also have very nice markings. May not be collectible now but who knows what the future holds, at least for my descendants...

At 5.2 lbs for their 10.5" skillet, it seems a little heavy compared to the vintage stuff but they say they're a pound lighter than the competition, presumably Lodge. That helper handle might be adding some extra weight. I really don't see why you need a helper handle on a 10" skillet. I also wish they made a bigger one, like 12".

But I'll probably order one in the next month or two.

The price on the thing is $134, you can buy several lodge pieces for that price. I will stick with what I know and keep the money in my pocket

The price on the thing is $134, you can buy several lodge pieces for that price. I will stick with what I know and keep the money in my pocket
Where are you getting that? Their website lists $80 bare, $88 pre-seasoned. Still pricy, though.

Where are you getting that? Their website lists $80 bare, $88 pre-seasoned. Still pricy, though.

I think he was referring to Marquette Castings link I posted which their skillets are $134.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Yea they are pricey; but, if my predictions hold, the laws of supply and demand will cause prices to drop. There is a limited supply of vintage cooking iron which is a factor to consider. And, not all cooks collect vintage iron. Some use both old and new (me). Some use old iron only. Some have no time/desire to collect and buy new cooking iron. And some use neither. A few economic factors to consider. I remember when calculators and desktop computers were initially expensive for most consumers when they hit the market. Over time prices dropped. Give it some time, though it maybe a while.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

They also have very nice markings. May not be collectible now but who knows what the future holds, at least for my descendants...

Perfect reason to buy one like this. :idea: There is a limited supply of vintage cooking iron. Just hope our descendants don't recycle or throw away our CI collections when all of us here are gone. :D

Last edited:
I had some more email comm with their CEO, this time about thickness as it relates to weight. Here's a quote of some of his reply:

"I have a vintage Griswold that's 0.069" at the thinnest spots. That's crazy thin. A modern Lodge skillet that I checked was 0.164", for comparison. We decided that the sweet spot for thickness is 0.125", and casting thickness minimums aren't a concern for us because we machine them after casting. We can really machine them to any thickness that we want."

He also said their next product would likely be a 12" skillet, hopefully soon.

I was just checking out the marquette castings link Ed posted earlier. Noticed a couple of things...

They're calling their 12" skillet a No. 12, though 12" is more equivalent to a vintage No. 10, right?

They pre-season it with four layers of... flaxseed oil. Oops.

That 6 QT enameled DO they also offer looks pretty sweet, though.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

EDIT - I went to marquette's kickstarter page - they're doing that for all their skillets, giving them numbers that match the inch diameter.

Before seasoning (with flaxseed), they "micro etch" the pans in a solution of hydrogen peroxide and sulfuric acid to give it a surface the seasoning bonds better to.

Instead of sand casting they're using investment a.k.a lost wax casting. I know of another unrelated product that was initially sand cast and then switched to lost wax, it greatly improved the results.

They're outsourcing the manufacture of these pans to... China. :-(

Sorry, I missed that.
Yeah they don't make it super-obvious, but check out the FAQ at the bottom of their kickstarter page, it has this Q/A:

"Why do you manufacturer the pans in China?
Initially our goal was to make the pans in Michigan (or the Midwest). After realizing that Investment casting would create a far superior product – we found that working with our partner factories in Hebei would be the only option to deliver a top-quality pan at a reasonable price without cutting corners on the design, manufacturing, finishing or seasoning of our skillets. The Hebei region has been casting metal for thousands of years and we were lucky enough to partner with a world class foundry that are experts in both casting and machining. We continue to explore options for manufacturing our products in the USA."

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ngs-superior-cast-iron-skillets?ref=user_menu

Another clarification, they only use lost wax on the 8" and 10" skillets, the 12" in still sand cast and machined, due to its size.

Well I'm looking forward to receiving my Stargazer skillet. I hope in future it can be a antique collectible too!

I added a link to the Stargazer website to the OP. In reading this thread, it is apparent the casual viewer is going to be quite confused given all the talk about Marquette's China-made, flaxseed oil seasoned, lost wax-cast product interspersed in it. Interested readers already are. This is why it's a good idea (and requested) to start a different thread when reading an existing one makes you think of something else.

Back