This noob is in over his head

Kevin Meares

...and liking it (I think!).

A little more info will be required (like what is lurking under the crud and rust), but so far so good. I didn't know what a "Griswold" was yesterday, much less a slant logo, or what "Made in USA" signified to CI collectors, or what "CI" might have meant, for that matter, before I dropped $250 in a local thrift store for five grungy skillets and a muffin pan with spider webs (not the coveted logo, of course--the less sexy kind).

After scouring eBay for a couple hours (where did the time go?), I gained a general idea of what I had just purchased, and I filled in some of the gaps this morning after searching this site and a couple YouTube videos. So here is what I think I just bought:

1. Griswold slant logo, "9" that is crusty, worn, and a little rusty. I'm hoping it cleans up nicely, but the heat ring is pretty worn and a couple rust spots have tiny chips there, so I'm tempering my expectations, here. I paid $75 for it.

2. Wagner Ware, Sidney-O-, with stylized logo. It's a 10 inch "Chef Skillet" (1388). More rust on this one, but at least some of it is of the surface variety (hopefully all). I paid $55.

3. An "8" "Sidney" Hollow Ware (via Wagner--?) that looks mostly dirty though the bottom has a bit of rust and probably a bit of pitting...still the cleanest of the lot. I paid $55.

4. & 5. Two unnamed 8" skillets, both with "Made in USA" i.e. post-1960 designation. One might be a BSR, as it has the ridge on the back of the handle. It says "No. 5" at six o'clock with 8 1/8 IN. underneath (Made in USA is at 12 o'clock). The other says "8 Inch Skillet" at 6 o'clock with "Made in USA" underneath). There is also a "5" on the front of the handle at its base. I paid $25 and $15 for these, respectively.

6. Muffin(?) pan. Holds eleven, looks like Griswold ones, except the bottom is unmarked, except for an "A" on the lowest cup in the center row. $25.

I'm thinking I paid close to retail overall (since I had no shipping, tax, or gas into it), depending upon how they clean up, and feel pretty fortunate, having dropped that much without knowing anything. I'll try to have pictures this weekend.

What do you think?

I don't mind paying up for good stuff; I understand and actually value the perks that come with experience in the collecting world, and I am on the steep side of that curve. If I overpaid, that's okay, as long as they work well. The unmarked stuff has the potential to be good users for me as I make pancakes and muffins on a regular basis (I like the 8" for pancakes--I have never used CI, though, and am looking forward to it). I would like for the others to be "users" also and I plan to have this purchase spark a desire to cook more. I am a collector at heart, and recognize a bonding with special objects in my own experience that heightens my interest and gives me more "skin" in the activity, if that makes sense.

A new world has opened up for me, and this has been a rush. Thanks for reading!

Welcome Kevin and with a little help, you'll be an expert in no time. You started as I did, but my pans were given to me, by going the ebay, youtube, and google route and you got a basic idea.

OK, While I collect Wagner and have little knowledge of Griswold, I think you are OK on that price as they are spendy.

#2 you paid a little high but look at it as a learning lesson and if you like and use it, you done well.

#3 is a Wagner product and it's a little high, not much though and I think it's the oldest one you bought.

#4 I would say is a BSR Century pan post 1960 and you are in the ballpark on price.

#5 is an unmarked Wagner Ware post 1960 and 15 is a good price.

While the last two aren't very collectable, they are highly useable so clean them up and enjoy them all. We will help and answer any and all questions in our own ability and welcome to wide, wild, wonderful world of Cast Iron.

Scott

I think you over paid quite a bit and especially for stuff that wasn't already cleaned and seasoned. Just my opinion mind you, but I'm cheap and more than willing to wait for a good deal. Of course, when you first get the itch, it's hard not to scratch it.

If you're gonna make pancakes, you need a griddle!

Enjoy your new hobby!

If you're gonna make pancakes, you need a griddle!

I like big cakes. I find the 7-8" pans are about perfect...and I like to get a little butter on the sides. I could be convinced to try it, though :icon_scratchchin:

Thanks for the responses :icon_thumbsup: I rolled the dice and it looks like I might come out okay. It would be silly for me to risk a fairly large sum and then use my newfound knowledge to beat myself up over price (but it is good to know what is what in this realm). This was something of a leap of faith, and the metaphor is apt in that there is something spiritual about it, for these old pans were used to nourish people for generations. Perhaps there was love imparted in that effort that was shared and enjoyed and for this reason I believe they have a soul--or traces of many souls--and something of all this "spoke" to me. Now, I wasn't exactly thinking of all this in so many words when I was in that thrift shop, but I did see this buy as a possible vehicle in a process of self-affirmation. Now, I'm not normally that dramatic about stuff, but this purchase was something of a commitment, and perhaps a fulfilment of a promise to myself to grow in this way as one who puts more care in the way he approaches food. This will be a process, a personal journey, and I'm not sure where it will lead, but I am intrigued. Besides, the adrenaline must count for a few bucks, no? People pay good money for such :p

The next step will be to clean them up, and I'm hoping this will be part of the fun. I'll keep you guys posted in another thread :wink:

I think if you find a #9 or #10 round griddle you'll be very happy with your pancakes. Not that they'll cook any better, just easier to flip. :D

I get what you mean about the past speaking through the pans you bought, I hear the history in most antiques I run across. My problem is that I can't afford them all :(

Hi, Kevin! It's always nice to see someone else falling head over heels in love with CI! I agree with all the response comments to your original post. Am something of a "cheap" buyer myself, but that's partly because I was lucky enough to start collecting at yard sales and such, where folks are just happy you're carting the stuff off their property! I love the old utensils for the reasons you and Scott have given. The feeling of connection with many years of comfort and sustenance is palpable. Maybe we should be glad that more people don't have this feeling for CI--leaves more for us.:grin: May you have many happy hours collecting, cleaning, and of course, cooking and eating!

Thanks again for welcoming me :)

I will now attempt to upload a few photos of the pans to the site:

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

The larger skillets are the Griswold, the "Sidney," and the 10" Wagner. The smaller skillets are the '60s unnamed Wagner and the '60s BSR Century, respectively. My next step is to try and clean them. I'm thinking of using the self-cleaning oven technique and then the vinegar treatment for the rust. Does that sound okay for these pans?

Last edited:
Kevin, a quick response here--DON'T put that Griswold in the vinegar! It looks to me like it just needs some proper scrubbing. The Wagner (square handle?) looks like vinegar would help. I know other folks on this site have many more sophisticated methods for cleaning CI, but I have used vinegar a lot--it's fine on really good CI (Griswold, Wagner, Favorite) but you only need it when rust is a major problem (IMHO). I guess my philosophy is, never use vinegar if you can get by with scrubbing. That said, good luck, and let us know how it all works out.

Kevin
Have you read the cleaning and restoration section here http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php# ? It is very helpful.

Lots of people have commented about the SCO method of cleaning pans. Some were successful, some were not. I would not recomment SCO for any pan that is not easily (and cheaply) replaced. SCO can damage or ruin pans. Electrolysis and lye, either in a tub or in a bag, will not damage your pans.

Good luck. Let us see the results.

Jack

Ok, maybe I dodged a bullet. Thank you! Now I am leaning toward using the Easy-Off in the bag, or maybe a lye bath, and see how that turns out. Electrolysis sounds a bit complicated to me, and I don't have a battery tester. Maybe if I get more pieces....

So, should all of these get the lye treatment, or should I see what I can do with soap and water for the cleaner ones, or something else?

Thanks again.

I drop everything into the lye for a good soak first. It cleans most everything off. I then scrub it in the sink with a brillo pad, dry and inspect. If it has rust that cannot be scrubbed off, it goes into the e-tank.

By hitting it with lye first, the e-tank works better and does not have to work as hard.

Thanks Bonnie! If the rust isn't too deep, I think it will clean up nicely. The cooking surface shows the mill marks very clearly. Listen to me, though, as if I knew what I was talking about :razz:

When I get around to cleaning these I will definitely post "after" pics!

It just looks like surface rust to me. You could probably get away with a quick scrubbing with a chore boy and some vinegar on that chef skillet. I didn't see any crud that would require lye. I think I would retire my old steel wok if I had one of those.

I took Bonnie's advice with the Chef's skillet and the two 5s and gave them a vinegar bath (two soaks each), cleaned with a SS brush, and seasoned the Chef's skillet and the unmarked '60s Century BSR 5. Here are the results:

I think I can use these! Thanks for the advice. The Griswold will definitely need a lye dip, and I have the stuff for that, but it is the coldest time of year right now and I might wait to set it up. I don't think the "Sidney" needs it, but I'm treating that one with kid gloves. The other 5, an unmarked '60s Wagner, needs more help. I might go with an e-tank setup down the road. Right now I'm happy with these two users!

Last edited:
Thanks again, guys. This was kinda fun. One day I'll get my other pans done and post those here, too.

Scott, I wouldn't deprive you of the satisfaction of restoring your own pans :)

Bonnie, *mind blown* fried rice! Somehow I've always thought it had to come from an Americanized Chinese restaurant! Care to share any tips? ;)

Back