too many amps?

JMoss

I have been using electrolysis for quite some time now and I recently added two more electrodes for better coverage. Ever since my 2 amp manual charger has been registering 10-12 amps. It does seem to be cleaning better but is this good for the equipment and the pans? Can you have too much amperage running through your etank?

Jack

Jack,
I see no concern other than the cables will become hotter with the higher amperage. I routinely run my charger at 40 amps but I also have heavy duty cables that will allow that amperage safely. The solution will also run a bit higher but there again no concern.
Good luck and charge away......
MD

Won't hurt the pans, but I wouldn't place bets on how long a 2 amp charger lasts running 10-12 amps.

Good point Kevin....He may have a charger that has a selection switch as mine does but I am not sure. I have an older Sears unit that has a built in cooling fan that runs regardless of what amperage is set. You may want to consider a small cooling fan pointed at that charger Jack just to keep it cool.

Thanks guys. Mine is a Sears manual charger that can switch between 2 and 10 amps and yes the clamps get pretty warm. I don't know how to slow it down other than removing some electrodes. Would watering down the soap solution reduce the amps passing through?

Jack

Keep in mind that line of sight and to close are not the same. You would not want to burn a hole in the piece that you are trying to clean. :biggrin:

Jeffery,
Can that really happen?

I diluted the soap solution and now I'm down to about 4 amps. The clamps are still very warm.

Jack

Jeffery,
Can that really happen?

I diluted the soap solution and now I'm down to about 4 amps. The clamps are still very warm.

Jack

I am using Lye, but yes it will happen. Not touching but to close. But I have also pushed my amps a bit at times.

Back