Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 12-29-2016, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Your user size needs

Number 3's are perfect for frying two eggs. I also found a recipe I was going to use during Christmas that uses #3s as individual dessert servings. I'm still hoping to make that one before my daughter goes back to California.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2016, 12:08 AM

My 14SK has no spouts. It has a 12 cooking surface and is 15 in diameter. It weighs 10 lbs. 13 oz. Lodge has been screwing with sizes and numbers for years. Yours is probably older than mine. An old Griswold or Wagner #14 should have a 14 cooking surface and be at least 16 on diameter not including the spouts if it has them. Yours should be an SK 14.

Hilditch
Old 12-29-2016, 12:54 AM

Interesting. The cooking surface on mine is 13 (measured on the inside) with a diameter of 15+ excluding spouts. No sk mark on the back -- just 14.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:50 AM

The smallest skillet I have is a #5 slant Griswold. Seems to be the perfect size for cornbread for two of us. Sometimes use a #6 single notch Lodge for cornbread if we need more. For regular cooking of bacon and eggs I use a #10 or #11 Wagner. I don't like trying to flip eggs in a little skillet or trying to fry bacon when it's curled up around the sides of a pan.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:09 PM

I inherited a #3, 5, 6, 7, & 8 skillet set, #9 griddle, aebleskiver pan, and a #7 Dutch oven. I'm a user as well and I find I use all these. I don't seem to need any other skillet sizes. I have added a second #6 so I can make smaller pies and desserts in them better suited for 1-2 people. The #6 also makes individual meals that can be served right in the pan (gets a few ooohhh's and aahhh's). I use my #7 the most. I've thought about looking for a #9 or #10 for use in cooking larger roasts and chickens in the oven but so far my #8 handles my roasting needs well. And though not significant to this post I have just added a #8 Dutch oven to my inventory. To sum up, as strictly a user I have all I need in the sizes I was given. Doesn't mean I am not a victim to the 'wants'. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Nichole M; 12-29-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
I don't like trying to flip eggs in a little skillet or trying to fry bacon when it's curled up around the sides of a pan.
I cut my bacon in half. This has two benefits. First, the bacon fits in a #7 or #8 without curling up the side of the pan. Second, it fools my eyes into thinking I'm eating more bacon than I actually am. Ha!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:06 PM

I see a #6 mentioned a few times and that one never occurred to me of one I would use. But then again I've never had one yet. Kinda on my thoughts at the start of this post was to narrow down just what I'll use but didn't mention a TM or timeline. That one I've recently decided and will start to put a scaled down set of that. But I do have a few different ones that don't match the set in mind that I'm keeping by how they perform.

I do know of a #9 local but just don't know if I would use it. Do any of you that have one grab it to use over say a 8 or 10. That one is still troubling me of do I need it?

Steve,
Old 12-30-2016, 08:35 AM

My gotos are #8 & #10, but Christmas morning I broke out a #12 to accommodate the hash with all the kids home. I will occasionally use a #14 if I'm making a lot of fried chicken.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:48 PM

I buy , clean , season and resell allot of cast iron . So I have or have had every size from the #3 to #12 . My stove is an electric with the older style round elements on it . So the largest skillet that I find will heat to the outside edge properly is a #9 .
I happen to have two ERIE skillets from the 1800's and one of them lives on my stove top ALL the time and does most of my cooking by far . I use a #6 , because a #6 (Griswold at least) measures 9" and that's a standard cake pan size . Making it work great for any recipe calling for a 9" cake pan , like corn bread . And I find a #3 great for frying 1 or 2 eggs , melting butter , cooking one burger or a small omelette .

So out of all the pans I have I actually use the #3 , #6 and #9 about 90% of the time .
Old 12-30-2016, 10:16 PM

Um, yeah, sold my #14 LBL Griswold because it wouldn't fit in my oven--several years ago, and got big bucks for it--just lucky, I guess. I use my #12 for pizza mostly.