Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 12-28-2016, 06:47 PM

Default Your user size needs

I'm only stating from a user point of needs. I've thought about this from the beginning of getting into CI about what I really need to have to cook with. Ive come to the same sizes of a # 3, 5, 7, 8 and # 10. As a non-collector I don't see any reason to get one of every size.

What do some of you guys not use of the ones you have but just wanted a full set? About the only deviation for me i may add a #12 to use in the oven, it may be to big to heat evenly on my stove. I've thought about a #9 but doesn't seem that much bigger than a 8.

This is just on skillets, and 4 in 1, and hinge skillets ect. Are a different category of what I'd like.

Steve,
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2016, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Your user size needs

Those are good sizes. On the really old, unmarked ones, there seems to be a lot of variation in the sizes, so a #7 in one might be close to an 8 in another one.

For awhile, I was using a 5 and a 3 for breakfast every morning. Now it seems to be a 7 and either a 3 or 5 (depending how many eggs I'm cooking.) if my wife wants eggs, I have to scramble them ... so I use a 6. An 8 is a great size for most things, especially cornbread, browning meat, one pot skillet meals for two, etc.. It seems, most of the one skillet meal recipes I see, call for a #10.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:47 PM

Steven I am more of a user than a collector as well. From a pure user standpoint I would stick with a #8, #10 and my 9 inch chef skillet as my heavy lifters. 95% of what I do in skillets are in one of those three. I have also found that anything larger than a #10 is best suited for the oven and would also have one of those (probably a #14 with a lid).

So, to summarize, I would be happy with those 4 sizes (8, 10, chef skillet, and #14 with lid).

I also am a big fan of griddles, but I'm guessing that this is outside the scope of your post...
Old 12-28-2016, 09:29 PM

Spurgeon I do use a #7 off and on for cornbread, brownies, and it does a wonderful omelet. O have a couple of #5 waiting to be cleaned and I'll see what one I keep and find out if I use it often or not. Still looking for a 3, and 10 to add. There is a guy local that has a Victor # 9 but don't know if if be better off waiting for a 10.

Mike, I've got a large skillet griddle I really like but after doing four pieces of French toast it doesn't browns all the way around. It does better with three. That got me thinking anything bigger than 10 would be better in the oven. I do use two #8 at the same time often and are my workhorses for now.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Mike, check your oven. A #14 (16"+) may not fit.

Hilditch
Old 12-28-2016, 10:02 PM

I use a 3, 6, 8 and 10 every week. I have a few 7's but they are too close in size to the 8. I also have a few 5's but it never seems right. The 6 seems to be perfect for me.
kyle
Old 12-28-2016, 10:09 PM

It's a cozy fit but it does fit. It's one of those Lodge three notch tank skillets so I may need to do some advance weight lifting to make sure I can get it in and out of the oven when loaded and covered...
Old 12-28-2016, 10:45 PM

Steve, your question crosses the lines between users, collectors and flippers. My MIL did a family of 5 with one #7 BSR. When Iíve gone camping for a month at a time all I needed was a #10. I did take an egg pan just for Sís & Gís. I now have a #3, #5, #7, #10 & #12 (A Lodge 14SK. A lodge 14SK is not a #14.). With the #7 being a Red Mountain BSR I donít have or need a #8. The #10 is the goto pan now that the meats come supersized. I seldom use the #3 or #12 but used the #7 tonight as the sauce would have been stretched in the #10 for pepper steak.

As a user, I have no urge for a full set of anything. Iíd like to try, not own, a #9 BSR just to see how it compares with my #10 Lodge; but I neither need or want any other size skillet or more of the sizes I have. The size 0ís donít count except for fun.

I think when one moves on to the collector category and beyond it becomes a mental or monetary challenge to complete a set without regard of personal usefulness. Owning a pile of #3ís makes sense, right? I think the bottom line is that it is an emotional thing.

Hilditch
Old 12-28-2016, 11:35 PM

Hilditch my 7 is a early BSR and one of my favorites. As for having a #3 I thought it would be useful mostly to melt butter for popcorn and certain recipes when needed. So much easier to wipe out CI than cleaning butter out of a glass bowl. They can be found cheap and I may find that 5 would be just fine instead.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Hilditch View Post
#12 (A Lodge 14SK. A lodge 14SK is not a #14.).
I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it, so I grabbed my lodge 14 out of curiosity and it measures 16+ at the spouts

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139658.../shares/P4hjXd

If I don't include the spouts I'm about an inch less (so 15+). I know the modern SK's have tiny spouts, so is it possible that the cooking area is the same size when the spouts are not considered?

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Also that pepper steak looks great!