Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 09-07-2016, 08:08 PM

Default Tell us about your goals for your collection

TL;DR - Do you collect a particular class of iron or will you collect anything you deem collectible?

I'm interested in everyone's approach to collecting iron.

When I first started collecting, I would buy just about anything, mostly for gaining experience in restoring the pieces. However, I quickly settled on one kind of goal for my collection. I've in the past always looked for pieces that are older than the most recognizable, stylized trademarks of Griswold and Wagner. My focus has been mostly on Erie branded pieces, but I've also found and kept some early Wagner pieces and the like. I've also found myself interested in gem pans recently, again mostly looking for the older stuff, but unashamed to own a newer piece or two if I find them particularly attractive.

I bring this up because, as I showed in another thread, I recently acquired a LBL #10 with heat ring. I've never had any desire to collect this series of Griswold, as it is one that everyone is after, so my intention was to move it along via auction. However, after having it in hand, I am reluctant to let it go. Not because I have a desire to try and put together that skillet series, but just because I know they are hard to get and if I should want another some time down the road I will probably end up paying a significantly higher price for it.

So question: Do you collect based on a tightly focused idea for one class of iron (either by type, time period, manufacturer, etc.), or do you collect anything that you feel is "collectible"? I'm curious how others do it.

By the way, I'm excluding here a plethora of other pieces that I don't really consider my "core" collection, any more than I consider my modern Lodges to be part of my collection. I have and will continue to purchase good users when deals come along. I'm more interested on the things I guess that you think of when you go looking to add to your pieces.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2016, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Tell us about your goals for your collection

I tend to collect unusual pieces of cast iron - not just cast iron cooking utensils. Not meaning to be critical (just observant), I thought this forum was about the "cast iron collector", not the "cast iron cooking utensil collector". I have learned plenty and am still learning, but I want to venture past frying pans and dutch ovens.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Site Admin

Actually, as the subtitle of the website and forum above indicates, the focus is indeed on cast iron cookware. There are, of course, items which are associated with that, such as the other related items produced by the major hollow ware manufacturers listed on the main website, but there is no intent to stray off into areas like farm implements or architectural pieces.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:01 PM

I'm more of a user collector and mostly look for items I want to cook or bake with. I'm not really stuck on a brand name but I lean towards the Griswold type. And there are certain ones I'm looking for.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:38 PM

I only buy pieces I want to cook with or test out for some reason. Normally premeditated.

Hilditch
Old 09-08-2016, 01:19 PM

I also only purchase items I intend to use; that's not really what I am getting at. I have a wall of early Wagner, Vollrath, and Erie branded skillets and I use them all regularly. Intentionally even. Same goes for the dutch ovens and gem pans in my collection. However, I still differentiate my core collection, the items that I prominently display and point out when I have guests over who show interest in the iron, vs. the pieces that I use but wouldn't have any remorse with replacing by something else.

I guess when you run across a piece that is fairly priced (but not a steal), what factors excluding monetary ones make you decide to purchase vs. leave, or do you just grab it all?
Old 09-08-2016, 04:33 PM

My interest is in finding pieces that would be fun to cook with. I also like to find skillet sizes I don't have.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:26 PM

Spider skillets and pig eared, flanged lid dutch ovens. Gate marked examples. The prices of these, hard to research ovens, has increased as much as 100%+ since I bought my first matching set in 1996. My goals are to acquire more lids to wed with an oven. I cook using ovens over one hundred years old. All over open pit coals. No need to count bagged briquets. I have some Griswold, Wagner, old Lodge we use in the house. I also never pass up a good trade item.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
Spider skillets and pig eared, flanged lid dutch ovens. Gate marked examples. The prices of these, hard to research ovens, has increased as much as 100%+ since I bought my first matching set in 1996. My goals are to acquire more lids to wed with an oven. I cook using ovens over one hundred years old. All over open pit coals. No need to count bagged briquets. I have some Griswold, Wagner, old Lodge we use in the house. I also never pass up a good trade item.
I like this. Would be an interesting collection to see.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:01 PM

I have been buying spider skillets and have found some great deals.
Mostly I like to find Erie which I have a few. If the price is right though I will pick up 3s to give away as gifts at Christmas