Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 02-19-2016, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Why Wagner?

I think Doug missed the point of this thread. The question wasn't whether Wagner used cost cutting processes or stole patterns, it was what is it about Wagner that makes it a preferred brand to collect to those of us who collect it. If I'm wrong Hilditch, smite me.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2016, 02:32 AM

Kisses Scott.

Hilditch
Old 02-19-2016, 11:23 PM

Personally, I like Wagner because it's the first pan I got. My mother made her Manicotti shells in a #3 Wagner. I still have it and always will.
The second skillet I got was a Wagner #7 from a yard sale. It belonged to the guy's grandmother and he never used it. Wanted it to go to a good home.
I cook in Griswold, Favorite Piqua and Diamond number series as well. I like them all.
But I guess I have a certain sentimental attachment for Wagner. So for me, that's why Wagner. Perhaps if my first pan was Vollrath or Piqua, I'd have the same attachment to them. I love to cook in the old CI, love their weight and ease of handling and get great enjoyment out of collecting different makes. I just don't see that much difference in these brands, but I'm not an expert.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:05 AM

Maybe that is why my 10 SK is still my goto skillet. For the past 33 years it has been my CI training and learning skillet and the first CI one I ever had success using. We know each other, it’s the right size, and it just feels right. Sort of like a good woman. Maybe more dependable.

For smaller jobs I often use my inherited #7 BSR and can not say anything against it no matter hard hard I would try. However, it just does not feel right. It wasn’t first.

Hilditch
Old 02-23-2016, 11:12 PM

I think you're asking the wrong question. Not why Wagner but why Griswold? Personally, I think it's just that the large block logo is "cool" looking, but in my experience small block logo Griswold's are better skillets. If costs were equal and one were to purchase 10 random small block skillets and 10 large block skillets probably 7-8 small blocks would lay flat while you'd be lucky to get 6 in the large blocks. Weight pretty much the same though the partial ribbed handle large blocks are lighter but in turn they're more prone to sulfur pitting. Seems really then that the small blocks being better should be worth more right. Sorry, just doesn't have that eye popping logo

Now with flat bottom Wagner's it's hard to find one that doesn't wobble or spin, but, on a lot of those, if you put a level on the actual cooking surface - flat as pancake. Maybe quality control wasn't as good, who really knows what the standards were.

However, if one were to take a heat ring era Wagner and put it up against Griswold's of the same time period and made logos invisible one would be hard pressed to find much difference between the two. If rarity were the sole indication of worth, then Wagner's of this era would actually be worth more as they are rarer than Griswold's and then in turn you have your Favorites Vollrath's and Wapak's which in turn are far rarer than Wagner pieces.

So again why Griswold? I think it's the cool logo and to sort of prove it look at the Wapak Indian head. That one cool logo jack's up the price enormously
Old 02-23-2016, 11:39 PM

Ken, we agree on the infatuation with Griswold. No question required. My question was; “So why the infatuation with Wagner?”

Hilditch
Old 02-24-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
However, if one were to take a heat ring era Wagner and put it up against Griswold's of the same time period and made logos invisible one would be hard pressed to find much difference between the two.
I have some of each, and I very much agree with this. It could be that the answer to "Why Wagner?" has less to do with infatuation and more to do with being practical once you factor in Griswold's price premium.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:43 AM

Guys, very intelligent responses. Especially applied to a time period. My take on Wagner probably needs to be time period adjusted. Thanks.

Hilditch

Last edited by W. Hilditch; 02-24-2016 at 12:58 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-24-2016, 10:10 AM

Actually, if I could find a set it would be to have a set of Block logo Favorites (the very first logo) I've had a number 8 and it was the lightest skillet I've had to date and saw a #12 in an antique store that weighed less than most #10's. That being said both of them were warped - pushing the envelope will lead to that.

Another lightweight - lighter than both Griswold and Wagner was this

If these are indeed Blacklock's why oh why did you become big heavy old Lodge I don't know?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06002.jpg (39.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06008.jpg (37.7 KB, 60 views)