Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 10-20-2015, 06:25 PM

Default Finding That Right Person

I donít have way too much CI, but I sure would like to find someone or multiple people who would use it like Sharon Shuman desires, and maybe learn to love it. All that I have is more than useable, it does not have pits, has great seasoning and has been treated with respect.

Although I wonít care when Iím gone, now I donít enjoy the thought of it going to anybody I know, or worse yet to someone who would flip it for a buck. I like the 1800ís concept of putting my CI in my will for someone special, but canít come up with a name.

Everyone here seems to have their fair share - plus. Iím not interested in selling. Has anyone here found a way to find a worthy recipient for their CI that I could use?

Hilditch
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2015, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Finding That Right Person

A tough question. I should say is to find someone who loves history. Someone who treasures the past. Otherwise it's just a bunch of iron.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:52 PM

Ive inly been into CI for a short period but have fallin in love quickly. The way my head works is i think of what i can do with the knowledge i have gained. I have a very good friend who is a chef. A really good chef. Im aware he has almost no knowledge of the history of CI. I am waiting to stumble across a piece that has him name on it. I look forward to restoring and giving him a piece of history. I know he will appreciate it. So short story long, find a foodie who cooks new food for fun. Those are the people who would really appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:09 PM

Not sure where you live but how about giving to a cooking school? When the time comes of course.

My two adult children have my better pieces spoken for.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:20 PM

Location: Residing in the calm sunshine of Santa Cruz, California

Presuming your collection is potentially worth thousands of dollars, you could arrange for it to be donated to a charity of your choosing upon your passing. Non-profits are often given material goods that are of no use to them, so they simply find a private buyer or auction them off to an interested party to raise money for their cause. At the end of the day your favorite organization would be left with cash for their coffers, and collectors who appreciate good iron would have it in their hands to cherish and preserve.
Probably not exactly what you had in mind but it's a simple way of ensuring that A, no one make a profit off your collection, and B, it ends up in the hands of people who value it.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:29 PM

I would say donate it to the local moonshiners since you are from Talking Rock Ga. but they are looking for copper and not cast iron unless they want to cook while brewing.
Have you looked into donating it to the state for museum purposes? Have no idea if that is a reasonable answer or not. Too bad we don't have a "Cast Iron Collector's Hall of Fame" where our life time passion of collections could be displayed for others to appreciate. It's been done with books, automobiles, airplanes, baseball, football and various other things....Why no cast iron?
If anyone is close friends to Mr. Trump or there likes then we would have a financing person in place to get it going. Better yet....Have the President (Mr. O ) issue an executive order and we'll be off and running.
I'm not so fond of death but there's no stopping it and have often wondered what will become of my collections of cast iron and glass. My two daughters will hopefully take an interest soon and maybe my worries will lessen somewhat so if someone has a genuine resolution please post it...I would love to know it's going to go to a good place.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:19 PM

I'm now mulling over the idea of having my entire collection melted down, and re-cast into a cast iron casket or maybe an 80 gallon dutch oven with self basting lid. Something big enough for me to fit in, then seasoned about 40x to prevent rust.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC View Post
I'm now mulling over the idea of having my entire collection melted down, and re-cast into a cast iron casket or maybe an 80 gallon dutch oven with self basting lid. Something big enough for me to fit in, then seasoned about 40x to prevent rust.
I'm sure your pall bearers are going to love that idea

Never thought about it really. Cremate me, weld my ashes into an old dutch oven and toss it in the ocean.

GF's kid is fond of cast, he'll probably get it.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Never thought about it really. Cremate me, weld my ashes into an old dutch oven and toss it in the ocean.
I think that's a great idea, I love both. Just a thought, if you really want to give it to someone who would cherish it as much as you do, you could will it to this site to be given out as per your wishes. Of course you'd have to OK it with the masters of the domain. There has been many good ideas here so as I said at the beginning, a tough question.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:01 AM

I have contacted a "care person" to help deal with my collection after my unfortunate, untimely, grisly, gruesome, demise.. We haven't reached an agreement yet.

Gold... Naaaah.. Silver... Nah... 401k, ok... Iron.. yes now there's something I can invest in. Fool's Gold?? I think not.

In the grand scheme, who really gives a XXXX what happens after they're gone?!