Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-17-2015, 10:33 PM
Dan Farmer Dan Farmer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 713
Default Re: Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSBradley View Post
Barnum said it best, "There's a sucker born every minute". I know it applies to prices in CI, but there are rarity factors too. I'm looking for a #4 Wagner Ware pre-1960 with the stylized script that is a smooth bottom. They are a little tougher to find and the price of one reflects that. The cheapest one I found is $95.00 so if I want it, that's the price to pay (outside of dickering). I can't even find one #9 of the same type but I guess that's why they call it collecting and not getting.
Yeah, I'm finding #4's of any sort, as well as #9's to be pretty rare. In fact, I don't think I have seen either yet, by any maker. 3's and 5's are a dime a dozen. But 4's? Nope.

But supply and demand are one thing... such extreme variance in the price of essentially the same thing... that confuses me.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Scott View Post
There is a hinged Griswold lid on ebay for $145 and it has been on there for at least a year. Asking and getting are two different things. I think some folks just really don't want to sell their stuff. Maybe their antique booth is really just a storage room.
I think you just said a mouthful! Especially with the #3 Griswold (behind locked glass, couldn't see the logo) for $85.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #12  
Old 10-17-2015, 11:40 PM
W. Hilditch W. Hilditch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Talking Rock, GA
Posts: 1,779
Default Re: Prices

Beyond supply and demand one needs to also look at the variables in psychology, sociology, history, economics, finance, education, geography, political structure, ethnic background, marketing, experience, specific location and management separately for the seller and potential buyer.

Something for sale on eBay pretty much has the above variables covered so the pricing falls on the seller to fit within a huge market. Much more room than a yard sale has available., and thus different pricing structures.

Seldom are two pots of chili the same due to personal taste and emotion. When I find something on eBay I really want, say itís worth $20 but has been bid up to $40, I just snipe in $500 and itís mine. My attitude is one of the variables in determining value. I filled a need and the rest is just a number.

I want a #9 BSR skillet, but I don't really want one yet. If things change, watch out.

Hilditch
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-18-2015, 12:11 AM
Dan Farmer Dan Farmer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 713
Default Re: Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Hilditch View Post
Beyond supply and demand one needs to also look at the variables in psychology, sociology, history, economics, finance, education, geography, political structure, ethnic background, marketing, experience, specific location and management separately for the seller and potential buyer.

Something for sale on eBay pretty much has the above variables covered so the pricing falls on the seller to fit within a huge market. Much more room than a yard sale has available., and thus different pricing structures.

Seldom are two pots of chili the same due to personal taste and emotion. When I find something on eBay I really want, say itís worth $20 but has been bid up to $40, I just snipe in $500 and itís mine. My attitude is one of the variables in determining value. I filled a need and the rest is just a number.

I want a #9 BSR skillet, but I don't really want one yet. If things change, watch out.

Hilditch
But, aren't all of those variables equally true of, say, homes? Yet do you see the same quality of home offered for $30K and $300K? Of course not.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-18-2015, 01:31 AM
W. Hilditch W. Hilditch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Talking Rock, GA
Posts: 1,779
Default Re: Prices

Unfortunately I do. We had this house built in '97-'98 for $125 a sq. ft. It now gets appraised for $92 a sq. ft. on 7 acres. If it was 50 miles South of here on a half acre lot it would appraise for a little over $200 a sq. ft. A $400,000 + difference. Location, location, location.

Locally one can't give CI away. There is no demand, knowledge or finesse. If it didn't come from WalMart, it ain't gud. If it says Griswold it's worth $10 more than nothing, but nobody bought big names in the South. Cheap ruled. It still does. Except in 'Lanta.

Hilditch
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-18-2015, 01:21 PM
Sharon Shuman Sharon Shuman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tippecanoe Cty., Indiana
Posts: 710
Default Re: Prices

Some very interesting comments and observations here. It's worth what they'll pay you is my only understanding of the antiques and collectibles business! I am trying to move my CI, of which we have WAY too much, and pricing is a bear to figure. If I were chucking out a usable but not too exciting item, I'd try to price down. When I've soaked, scrubbed, and seasoned a pan (and Propane is expensive!), I really don't want to "give it away." As for antique stores or booths in a mall being "storage", it's awfully expensive; of course, that one person with more money than sense and a great desire for what you have for sale can make a happy bottom line! If you are willing, as a collector, to drive the many miles and look through flea markets and find yard sales, which I know several of you guys do, then you are really not in the $75.00 or $100.00 pan market, except for those rare and fine pieces which do occasionally make your day! Happy hunting--and if I figure this pricing thing out, I'll be back with you all immediately to share the secret! And Hilditch, you have also touched on a real factor of life in the USA--what in one region is a great price for something might make me faint dead away here in Hoosier land.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-19-2015, 05:35 AM
JustinR JustinR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 273
Default Re: Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Farmer View Post
But, aren't all of those variables equally true of, say, homes? Yet do you see the same quality of home offered for $30K and $300K? Of course not.
Home sell prices in this market are based on value. Value is placed on the home by an appraiser which takes many things into consideration.

As for CI prices? Man, I have no idea. From booth to booth inside the same flea market the prices change wildly. Even on ebay. I keep an eye on ebay for fun. Grabbed 2 griswolds and an "o" on the same auction for 35 bucks shipped. Yet if I wanted to I could sell one of the large face griswolds I got in that auction for double what I paid for all 3. Seems like a crap shoot to me
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-19-2015, 08:33 AM
Dan Farmer Dan Farmer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 713
Default Re: Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
Home sell prices in this market are based on value. Value is placed on the home by an appraiser which takes many things into consideration.

As for CI prices? Man, I have no idea. From booth to booth inside the same flea market the prices change wildly. Even on ebay. I keep an eye on ebay for fun. Grabbed 2 griswolds and an "o" on the same auction for 35 bucks shipped. Yet if I wanted to I could sell one of the large face griswolds I got in that auction for double what I paid for all 3. Seems like a crap shoot to me
Well put, Justin! One of the criteria the real estate agent does is to see what other similar houses in the area have sold for. That's a bit tougher to do in our market. The eBay SOLD search is great, but of course, that is only eBay.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-19-2015, 09:05 AM
JustinR JustinR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 273
Default Re: Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Farmer View Post
Well put, Justin! One of the criteria the real estate agent does is to see what other similar houses in the area have sold for. That's a bit tougher to do in our market. The eBay SOLD search is great, but of course, that is only eBay.
If I get to the selling point of CI I would simply put it on ebay with a buy it now. Stays active for 30 days and is free until it sells. In all reality I think id rather pass them to friends then sell unless its a real expensive piece. The value isnt really that high on most pieces to deal with the bs of selling
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Dan Farmer Dan Farmer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 713
Default Re: Prices

Since I began collecting, my interests have changed, and I do have some pans that I'd like to replace with ones that are more to my tastes. I do have one friend that can appreciate cast iron (although she still thinks that her modern Lodge is what cast iron is all about). Next week I will be presenting her with a #10 Wagner.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-19-2015, 10:16 AM
JustinR JustinR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 273
Default Re: Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Farmer View Post
Since I began collecting, my interests have changed, and I do have some pans that I'd like to replace with ones that are more to my tastes. I do have one friend that can appreciate cast iron (although she still thinks that her modern Lodge is what cast iron is all about). Next week I will be presenting her with a #10 Wagner.
Thats a good friend! I never knew the difference until I cleaned my first piece of old CI and used it. Ive been using a newer lodge for years. Such a night and day difference. The lessened weight alone makes it so much easier to cook on, let alone the surface youre actually cooking on
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Advertisement

- Website Directory -

This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program,
an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn
advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com or its affiliates.
This page contains ads and links that earn commissions for CIC.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.