Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 02-27-2015, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Sauce Pan?

I need some help with this one Doug, you without a doubt have a more trained eye than I do for this sort of thing. Comparing the two pots side by side: handle shape the same, font on top of handle size and shape nearly identical, lid shape from what I can make out in the photo are the same and lid handles are of similar style. Other than the 3 notch heat ring and the slightly better casting of what has previously been determined Lodge pot, what nuances are you picking up on that I don't see? Or are the above stated differences enough to conclude it to be BSR?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2015, 11:08 PM

Cool, Doug. I would find it hard to believe you haven't heard this before, but you da man.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:25 PM
Site Admin

I have seen this identical combo discussed before, and there was a difference of opinion as to whether the pan was BSR or Lodge. If there are dimples on the underside of the lid, that would make the case for the lid being BSR at least. If the pan is Lodge, the smooth bottom would be what is throwing me off.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:05 AM

Thanks Doug, that is good information. The smooth bottom leads us to believe that the underside of the lid has dimples which indicates BSR. I haven't read the foundry pages recently, was there any sharing of patterns between BSR and Lodge? The similarities are too great to be a coincidence.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:09 AM

I'm totally with you all on the lid. But I'm somewhat confused on the pan. I'm sure it's my lack of experience on the subject, so let me ask more questions.

In my short time here I've learned that the handle is a big indicator of the make on these unmarked items. Is it safe to say that of the same make, skillet handles would be of the same shape and style of other types of cookware, in this case a stew pot? I went back to the CIC website, and the pot handle I have doesn't look at all like a Lodge or BSR skillet handle. Or any other make either. It's enough to make my head spin.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:43 AM

I found out last night that this pot WAS used to melt down lead. He said that he regretted it almost immediately, but the damage was done. So now the question is; do I find a way to use it? Will seasoning it seal away what little lead was in the bottom? It truly was only a spot about the size of the last joint of my pinky finger. You can just see it in the first pic.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:47 PM

Location: Residing in the calm sunshine of Santa Cruz, California

I've heard that people use hydrogen peroxide mixed with white vinegar to remove stubborn lead from gun barrels. Mixing the two 1:1 creates weak peracetic acid which should also etch off a very thin layer of the cast iron leaving a nice surface to build seasoning on. I would do a few 1 hour soaks in peracetic with heavy scouring in between, possibly even use some fine sand paper. If you want total peace of mind there are lead detecting swabs you could test with after cleaning it to be sure.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:41 PM

Once used for lead smelting, I'd never trust it again. How deep into the cast iron pores has the lead settled, even at the molecular level.

My advice, use it as a decorative piece from now on. Get a electro pencil and etch it "lead Only" some place out of sight to save future heartaches.

I just could never use a piece used for smelting lead and not wonder how much lead is possibly being ingested. Bad, bad news.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:19 PM

Where would I get these swabs?

Never mind, just Googled and found them. I can't find a way to delete post.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Site Admin

Paint store.