What a shame

KenK

Not that I lost out per se, but that someone would stoop so low. I get of work Thursday and Friday afternoon, early enough to be able to hit the interesting estate sale if need be. Saw a sale on estatesales.net that looked interesting cast iron wise - the verbiage stated Griswold and one of the thumbnails showed a table just filled with cast iron pieces. I get there and really didn't see much at first glance but then spied a Griswold 140 turks head pan and an Erie 22 I brought those up and then went off to the enclosed porch. They had a police officer for security and he was eying an old BSR sauce pan. Then he said all the good stuff got stolen last night.

Some hoser broke into the house and stole most of the cast iron. Nothing else from what it sounded and looked like. I know that cast iron can bring some decent money, but that you would stoop so low to steal it is just a shame.

We had a very similar situation here in Rockport, Texas. A dealer bought all the cast iron at an estate auction. When she went back a day or two later to pick up the iron it had all been stolen.

I doubt it is collectors doing the thefts. More likely someone who wants to make a quick buck or maybe even use them.

"Cast iron people" don't steal cast iron. Thieves do.

The dirtbags that stole those pieces likely did it for the money. Pure and simple. They targeted the CI because it's a hot item and they felt they could dispose of it quickly and easily.

Besides, there's almost no way to ID stolen CI from legit CI. Just because they know their CI and their business is no reason to call them anything other than THIEVES!

"Cast iron people" don't steal cast iron. Thieves do.

It would make me sick to come home and find my hard won finds gone. Criminals must be doing their homework to know that CI is worth more than the $5-$20 you find pieces for at yard sales and flea markets. Either that or they're scrapping it for the iron weight. (Which sucks even more.)

:!: Photographing anything you have that's valuable/collectable comes in very handy when/if you ever have to file an insurance claim. :!:

The sad part of it is that it probably is going for scrap metal to buy butts and beer.

I just meet with a scrapper who has been scrapping all the cast iron that he can get his hands on. I told him that I will pay him by the pond. He works in NH and has a home in VT. :icon_thumbsup:

Back