What’s with This Lodge Skillet?

IIRC, it was something to do with Lodge copying a move by BSR to make their previously larger-than-normal size 8 fall more in line with standard sizing. Essentially making the BSR 7 the new 8 and eliminating a size 7. It's been said the shrinking of the size 8 allowed BSR's automated molding system's matchplate for that size to then hold two patterns, thus effectively doubling production of a very popular size pan in the same amount of time.

I found this today at a thrift shop. It seems to have more than usual marking on the back. Anyone know what the 8-B is about? There is also a small D2 at the bottom of the back.
https://imgur.com/gallery/f5vyWOy

Interesting, I just pulled the same skillet out of my lye tank on Saturday. In the oven getting seasoned right now. I remember getting it this past winter when one of the ladies at the flea market was having a dollar sale. Got ten skillets for $10 that day!

IIRC, it was something to do with Lodge copying a move by BSR to make their previously larger-than-normal size 8 fall more in line with standard sizing.

Interesting. So is this Lodge actually the same as a size 8 skillet rather than a true size 7?

Interesting. So is this Lodge actually the same as a size 8 skillet rather than a true size 7?
The 7 SK 8-B measures 10" in diameter (nominally). Catalogs usually stated the Lodge #8 top diameter as 10-1/2" and the #7 as 10".

Back