BSR? ID Help

The lid looks like a BSR Red Mountain series. No extra bulge on the wide side of the lid handle and scattershot placement of the dimples on the lid are the tells. The typeset font on the bottom of the DO makes it a later Red Mountain series.

I don't know enough about BSR DO's to know for sure but it's possible it was packaged as a Century series but made from Red Mountain patterns.

Top is definitely BSR. Bottom appears to be. If you sandblasted the surface and want to restore it, try some 600 or finer sand paper.

Jack

I was thinking post-automation because of the screwhead mark on the bottom. My understanding was that using screws to identify potentially problematic patterns (wow, alliteration) was something introduced post-automation, while pre-automation they used the letter pattern ID markings.

I was questioning if the lid matched. At first glance it does seem from a RM pattern, but with a closer look the dimple pattern is pretty organized, and though the bulge on one side of the handle isn't as distinct as usual for post-automation, it does bulge more than the uniform thickening from one side to the other that I'm used to with RM lids. Perhaps an early automation example?

I'm not saying I know any better, only saying that was my understanding. If I'm wrong I welcome the opportunity to learn more.

Both look like Century series to me even though the lid is a little "wonky." The only thing I know for sure about CI is when you think you've seen it all, you ain't.

I agree with EricC. maybe the lid was some sort of test run to work the bugs out of the DISA machine?

All BSR lids, whether for a skillet or a DO, had two pour spout covers. It was cheaper to make one lid that fit both than to make two different lids.

All BSR lids, whether for a skillet or a DO, had two pour spout covers. It was cheaper to make one lid that fit both than to make two different lids.

Makes sense. So how do I figure out which one it went to? Guess it really doesn't matter Ill use it on both.

That skillet is definitely post-automation.

If all three pieces came from the same lot, odds are the lid came with the DO. But like you said it doesn't really matter, BSR is appreciated by many but doesn't really have a lot of collectible value so you've got yourself some good users and can use the lid on either one.

Back