Amazing (to Me) Difference in Sidewall Thickness

DonnaM

The pan on the top is a Wagner Ware (heat ring and c/n); it's actually not a very heavy pan. But look how thin the sidewall of the Favorite is at the bottom--I'm almost scared to use it! :eek:

I'm amazed it survived all these years....

IMG_2690[1] by donna manion, on Flickr

I have a #12 Smiley so thin it's hard to believe it's cast iron and not formed steel. Rings like a gong.

I imagine the thick pic is of a late/newer piece and the older piece wall thickness increases as you move down the side of the pan.

Donna, when the side of my grandmother's skillet broke off, I was shocked at how thin it was. I have a picture around here somewhere with a business card next to it. I think the business card was thicker!

Donna,

I have an identical #8 Favorite that I inherited from my wife's grandmother. After stripping the buildup, I was also shocked at how thin it was. However, it cooks wonderfully, so I just keep using it. It's my favorite pan for cornbread because it lets it cool to sub-nuclear (aka: safe to eat) temperature more quickly than my thicker pans and the smooth finish releases very cleanly.

I think all that build-up on these thin pans must be protective--We've removed it, and now we have to be careful!

"Smileys" are the most elegant of cast iron pans in my opinion... beautifully styled thin walls and great to use.

Back