Lodge Seasoning...

Bill Lindquist

Hi, All... I'm having a devil of a time getting my 12' sand cast Lodge pan seasoned.... It's been 'in the oven' seasoning with unrefined Flax seed oil more times than I can remember... I cook at reduced heat and wash after every use with hot water from the Kuerig... it's getting better, but does anyone have any suggestions... Regards, Billl

It's probably a combination of things. Unpolished pans seem to take a longer time to get where they need to be. I'd skip the flaxseed oil; it's expensive and really doesn't do any better real world job of building a usable seasoning. I might be a little less aggressive on the cleaning protocol until it performs like you want it to. After use, just rinse with warm tap and wipe it out with the least abrasive thing you can, even if that's just paper towel. Wipe it down with a little canola or grapeseed oil and give it a half hour or so in a 350 oven, until the film doesn't feel sticky after it cools. You can also do the last thing when you use the oven even if you're not using the skillet.

Back