Help Id with Lodge

M Garner

I need a little help dating a lodge pan I picked up the other day for 6.00. when I got it the bottom cooking area was covered with surface rust. the outside had been protected by decades of crust from cooking maybe on a wood stove or gas burner. after a vinegar bath for two days the rust was gone. I have started seasoning it, it is coming along nicely and will make a nice pan. it is 13 7/8 from pour spout outside tips. it has the 3 notches and a raised heat ring, no markings or numbers that I can see. dose anyone know the sixe number and close to the date this large pan was make?

thanks for the help mike....

Mike, you can learn about no-name CI here--scroll down to find Lodge. http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

It's hard to narrow the date down without a picture of the back of your pan--Lodge added different markings at different times. If there is nothing inscribed on the back, I would guess it to be 1940's. (I'm a new collector myself, so I could have missed the mark.)

thanks for the reply, I looked on the site and it is a little confusing to me. there is no markings that I can see. I thought it might be the 40s just by the use it has gotten. it will make a nice fish frying pan, I will find out this weekend.

There should be a number below the "top notch" if it's a Lodge. There were some Korean made ones from the Lodge cast but all that I've seen say "Made in Korea" at the 6' O'Clock position. Someone will be along shortly to tell you that vinegar soaks over 30 mins at a time can damage the iron. I've attached a pic of my 3 notch unmarked lodge for you to compare. In my area the 3 notch unmarked Lodges are the most common pans you find.

IMG_0033_zpsas1kydfj.jpg

I have a few 3 notch just becasue they are so common and inexpensive in my area, but I prefer the 1900 era pans of any kind with my Arc Logo Lodge being my favorite user (right now). I can't wait to get my #10 BSR ready for use but the lye is s l o w right now.

What you have is a #12 three notch Lodge. They are pretty difficult to date. Judging by the size of the ears, mine (in the pictures) was made after automation, 1950's, but before Made in the USA was added in the sixty's

The only pan I have that is larger is a #14 BSR.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Back