Where do you get your CI?

John E

Limit this to pieces you've acquired in the past year or two. It'd be too much to ask some of you old timers to think back 30 years! Just curious where the bulk of purchases are happening nowadays.

For me, it's about 70% flea market finds and 30% antique shops. I spend entirely too much time drooling on ebay, but I have vowed to only buy local to keep from "cheapening" the hunt. I also enjoy the restoration part of the process the most, so I'd rather get a deal on a cruddy old piece than pay market value for something already cleaned and seasoned.

How about you?

I get about equal amounts from local antique malls/shops, "junk emporiums" and eBay. But in the last few weeks, I've turned up some nice deals from local individuals via yard sale ads in the newspaper and on Craigslist.

Like you, John, I'm beginning to enjoy the restoration process more and more, although I still love the hunt.

I am not serious collector, but have picked up 7 skillets and a kettle at estate sales in recent months.

I think I'm missing out on the "junk emporium" experience. I don't know of any place that I'd describe like that near me. It's all antique shops with more "selective" offerings. Most of them have little to no CI.

Before I looked at my spreadsheet, I would have said mostly flea markets, a few antiques shops, and the rest from eBay. To my own surprise, the last 20 months' acquisitions break down like so: 12 from antiques stores, 20 from flea markets, and 55 from eBay. Actually, 4 more from eBay if you count those that were not as described, and were returned or refunded.

But still, it feels like less and less from eBay. The number of listings is at an all time high, up to ~ 10,000 in the collectible cast iron category on any given day vs. ~ 4,000 three or four years ago. Funny how supply is up, but so are the asking prices. So much for economics.

Looks like demand is up more than supply. All those new people like me getting in to it and driving prices up for the old timers :)

In all seriousness (ok, slightly tongue-in-cheek), I think you have only yourself to blame. This website is such a great source of information that it makes the hobby much more accessible. I have always been a fan of CI, having grown up watching my mother and grandmother using it, but it wasn't until I read all the fantastic information here that I got hooked. I bet a significant amount of the new interest is due to your hard work and the great community contributions right here on this forum.

I've found most of my CI from Goodwill and Savers (Easter Seals org) stores. MANY vg items in the past year. I inherited a few. Now we look at yard sales also.

I get almost all of mine from thrift stores and pay under $20 for everything unless something really nice comes up. I also find a few at garage sales and Craigslist. I never buy from antique stores or eBay. They is usually command a higher price Han I am willing to pay.

Back