Erie #9 Shallow Skillet, Dutch Oven

JoshR

Today I picked up this shallow skillet, a Jotul #2 (anyone know much about these?) and a few Wagner smooth bottoms and an unknown from facebook marketplace. All I knew with the shallow skillet was a photo posted of the top of the handle. When I picked it up and saw the bottom, I was pretty pumped, it looks to be slightly pitted on the bottom but not too bad. All are flat and appear to be in great shape.

I also picked up a dutch oven from an antique store. Flat, maybe a few small pits on the inside. I think its an Erie, only marks I can read are the 834 and a 9 on the bottom. Can anyone confirm? My lye tank is full now, so it will be a while until I strip it.

Attachments

• 20210529_123720med.jpg
    20210529_123720med.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210529_123817med.jpg
    20210529_123817med.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210529_124200med.jpg
    20210529_124200med.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 35
Here's a photo of the top/inside of the dutch oven. It's not rounded on the bottom, meaning it's like a 90° angle from the flat bottom to the vertical sidewall.

Attachments

• 20210529_124145med.jpg
    20210529_124145med.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 20
yes, the dutch oven is a legitimate early ERIE dutch oven, most likely from the 1890's...
the shallow skillet is also very nice and well worth the price for the lot.

I like the shallow skillet....the holes in the handle look like Wapak probably used the mold from one like this....anyways, thanks for sharing.

As a side note....wonder ing the circles are just for looks?

I like the shallow skillet....the holes in the handle look like Wapak probably used the mold from one like this....anyways, thanks for sharing.

As a side note....wonder ing the circles are just for looks?

cookware makers were trying to prevent the 'hot handle' problem almost from the beginning... this was one attempt to help with air flow and thermal convection and reduce the thermal mass of the handle.

That makes sense.....more air flow, less heat build up. Part of me wishes more skillets were made like this, but my other part is liking the regular handle.

Forgot to post the restored photos. The cooking surface is nearly flawless, the bottom has some shallow pitting (the "Erie" and "9" are a little more clear than the lighting shows), and it sits perfectly flat. Not the cleanest seasoning job I've done but I'm stoked about this pan.

Attachments

• t3Etovb.jpg
    t3Etovb.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 19
  • LkE1ORb.jpg
    LkE1ORb.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 23
Here's a photo of the top/inside of the dutch oven. It's not rounded on the bottom, meaning it's like a 90° angle from the flat bottom to the vertical sidewall.

I believe there is one on ebay right now.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Forgot to post the restored photos. The cooking surface is nearly flawless, the bottom has some shallow pitting (the "Erie" and "9" are a little more clear than the lighting shows), and it sits perfectly flat. Not the cleanest seasoning job I've done but I'm stoked about this pan.

I had a Wagner one, very similar. https://imgur.com/gallery/k4nirR1

I wonder if they made the Erie three-hole without the p/n?

Back