Lightest Skillets?

SeanD

What is our lightest skillet that you have? I dont own an Erie pan yet, and was wondering as to how they compare to other vintage skillets? Just a thought:icon_scratchchin:

I have a #7 with a Piqua smiley logo ghost mark that weighs 2lbs 10 3/8 oz. The #6 SBL Griswold nested above of it is 3 oz heavier.

I picked up an Erie 9 a few months back. Never weighed it but I was scared just holding it with how light it is!

thanks for the link......and I am hoping to get an Erie soon, thanks for the "warning" about being carefull with it!

My Griswold #6 Slant EPU is far and away the lightest pan in my collection, i'm not sure what it weighs though. I find both "ERIE"s (pre griswold) and Griswold to be pretty darn light.

I just got a Wapak #12 and its quiet a bit lighter than my new SK12 Lodge, which is to be expected. I see why vintage is better from the weight aspect alone, due to some not wanting a lot of lifting during cooking.

Lightest skillet I have is a Griswold 00 Skillet/Ashtray. I use it as a spoon rest. It is a little lighter than the same size Wagner Ware Skillet/Ashtray.

I have a series 3 ERIE , some 1914 to 1920 Wagner's , a Slant logo Griswold with heat ring and some Griswold LBL skillets and others . The ERIE is quite light , but I have a Favorite Piqua smiley the same size and it's the lightest pan I have size for size of any of them .

My Griswold #6 Slant EPU is far and away the lightest pan in my collection, i'm not sure what it weighs though. I find both "ERIE"s (pre griswold) and Griswold to be pretty darn light.

My Griswold #6 is also very thin compared to my #3 and #8 Griswolds...about half the thinkness.

SeanD, I own well over 100 CI skillets and for what most of us would judge a skillet comfortable enough to cook in (#8) would be what your question refers to I assume.
Being so, I have two fully marked Victor's, (made by Griswold) that are far lighter than any other skillet made with cast iron in my collection. With that being said, you will tend to see more warped bottom skillets the lighter they are. Kind of the nature of the beast so be careful what you ask for. Both my Victor's are warped, (one more than the other) but on a gas burner it's not noticeable except when all the liquids feed toward the middle of the pan.

Michael, interesting that you should mention Victor pans--my fully marked no.7 Victor is flat as can be, until you heat it up! Then the warp appears. Could that be because they were an economy model in the Depression era? At least it turns easily on the stove burner, which on my stove is a very good thing!

Sharon. I'm not savvy enough to answer your question regarding "economy" type CI during that time period. As we know from our resources here on CIC supposing Griswold & Wagner developed their off-brand cookware to compete with each other and other makers of that time. Besides the Victor's I also have a couple of #8 National's that are very similar in weight as compared to the Victor's and they too have warping issues and as yours, (more so when on the stove).

My Victor fully marked is my lightest pan too. I am very carefull with it, as to the temps and all...my new Lodges are the heaviest pans, as you would guess.

What is our lightest skillet that you have? I dont own an Erie pan yet, and was wondering as to how they compare to other vintage skillets? Just a thought:icon_scratchchin:

My Griswold #6 small logo skillet, hands down --weighing in at 3 lbs. versus my Griswold #6 Large logo at 3.25 lbs. versus a no-name #5 weighing in at 4 lbs.

Last edited:
I am getting an Erie pan very soon, and an curious as to how light it will be. I assume it is pretty light, not that it matters to me, im just curious?

Back