Help identify a 19 bd Montmartre Paris iron cast plaque

Anthony_G

Hello, I'm trying to identify a broken piece off an iron cast stove or heater or fireplace, presumably French.

The two broken pieces read "GRA[F]" maybe, and possibly "ING rs 19 bd Montmartre, Paris".

That's "19 Boulevard Montmartre". If I'm reading it correctly "ING rs" (raised) might be an abbreviation for Ingenieurs (Engineers).

Anyone can help identify the trade name, or object this might have come from?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN1001.jpg
    DSCN1001.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 20
The address is an office building, and apparently has been one for quite a long time. Perhaps it's just signage for one of the occupants.

The address is an office building, and apparently has been one for quite a long time. Perhaps it's just signage for one of the occupants.

Many thanks Doug. Perhaps. But let me give you a bit more background info. It's not just one plaque with that name/address. There are at least three (see photo). And they were found not in Paris, but inside the weights of a 1928 tower clock in a remote mountain village in Greece! Could have been put in the weights later than 1928, of course, but nevertheless that's where I found them. The weights were filled with cast iron pieces (see photo).

Now, the mountain village in Greece gets a lot of snow in the winter. So I thought "cast iron heaters' or 'cast iron oven' or 'cast iron mantle' or 'cast iron fireplace' or 'cast iron fireplace backplate" or cast iron grate".

Even today the village houses have French wood-burning ovens and heaters, bought by their ancestors from France in the early 20th century up until the 1960's. They are mostly decorative items now, but some are still working.

Attachments

• thumb_DSCN0993_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSCN0993_1024.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 21
  • thumb_DSCN1165_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSCN1165_1024.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 24
Back