porcelain and electrolysis

I found this on a Griswold cookware website:

PROBLEM: IT'S COATED WITH PORCELAIN OR ENAMEL
SOLUTION: TRICKY--YOU DON'T WANT TO DULL IT

You can brighten stained porcelain by submersing in a Clorox/baking soda/water combination: Combine 1 cup bleach, 3 tablespoons baking soda, and 1 gallon (or less) of hot water. Check every 10 minutes as porcelain or enamel can dull if left in solution too long. When it is as restored as much as is possible (some staining won't be fixed), rinse, wash, and dry. Oil lightly.

That answer seems to be addressing an alternative to using lye, which can dull porcelain. If the porcelain is uncompromised, the risk in electro is negligible. But if the problem is not rust on the top, electro doesn't seem like the first choice. What's on the lid (top and bottom) that needs removal?

The dome is very clean. There a spots of rust on the top but they are not deep. 98% of the top is in very nice condition. If I knew how to provide a picture ..... I need my grandsons. I appreciate your help.

Perhaps just floating it upside down in 50/50 vinegar/water for 30 minutes then scrubbing with steel wool or S/S scrubber on the rust-affected areas.

I clean those lids with electrolysis, which cleans the the bare iron parts. Use Bar Keepers Friend on the enamel. I've also been known to put them in lye for about 5 minutes if they have sticky grease on them, which doesn't seem to dull the enamel, but this might be a less than ideal approach.

Back