Purchase or Not?

John N

I have an opportunity to buy this skillet with the matching lid. The only problem I have is I can't find anywhere about a Lodge with no notches on the heat ring. Can anyone out there tell me about what era this skillet is. Oh it had a raised number 9 on the handle. thanks everyone.
IMG_0680.JPG

Those are sweet pans! "arc" logo Lodge is attributed to be from 1910 thru 1930's. I have a couple of those raised number skillets in my everyday user collection. The casting is as smooth as anything you've ever seen, and they have a good well balanced thickness.
It's probably worth around $50 in excellent restored condition.
Benjamin

John, I just bought an arc Lodge #8. Mine has a notch. I have some other Lodge's with a raised number, solid heat ring, but no "lodge" logo on the back. (One of them has a butter mark there, as if it was their first attempt at writing "Lodge", messed up, and then covered up the unsightly mistake with a little iron.

My uneducated guess ... Lodge made skillets with no notch when they first started making skillets under the Lodge name, then started adding Lodge to the back, then started adding the notch, then took the name off of the back. ... Each transition had a period with characteristics of the last era and the new era.

Thanks spurgeonh. I haven't seen the skillet yet but from what I can see from the pics minor rust. The good thing about it, it comes with the matching lid. Don't know if 30.00 is a good buy or not. Guess I'll know more when I actually see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's cheaper than I had pay for the skillet by itself. In my case, they were asking $36 (I think) and they came down 10%. I think I paid $15 or $20 for the lid.

Back